• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Dilemma for Opening Day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
My only 2 reliable guns are my TC .45 Hawken and .50 Renegade. Tomorrow I'm gonna go make sure both are still sighted in good. I know plenty of deer have been killed by .45 roundballs but I really don't want to wound anything and not find it. Most of my "hot" stands right now can have shots from 10 yards, all the way to 70 or 80. I know my .50 will kill them out that far but I wonder will a .45 still do the job even if I make an undesirable shot, like in the shoulder. What do you guys think? I'm thinking 1st season I might just use the .50 because I've had it longer so it's more reliable to me. I guess we'll see how I feel after tomorrow :grin:

Go with the 50 if your mind is set for that, might as well be comfortable in your decision instead of wondering, confidence IS a big factor.

I'd be OK with the 45 if it wasn't too windy, outwords too 70-80 can cause alot of drift, inside 50 it'd still be a good bet.

necchi said:
confidence IS a big factor.

Yep, and it sounds like you're pretty confident with the .50. I don't know what your deer hunting experience is, but I'm guessing you should kill a couple of deer with the .50, then go with the .45. Bill

I have taken deer with all of the popular calibers but the larger bore rifles have more horsepower and are more likely to leave an exit wound. I normally hunt with a 58 caliber because it makes a bigger hole when it exits. This can be important if you have to trail the deer.

The only deer my wife and I have killed with muzzle loaders have been .45 with patched round ball. Placement is the key. The .45 has plenty of killing power out to (my own self-imposed limit) 100 yards. However, do wat makes ye happy.

Maybe if I get a deer 1st season with the .50 then I can use the .45 2nd season and muzzleloader season. I'm going to use what I'm confident with. Thursday night before season opens I'll be so jittery checking to make sure my gun is completely clear and clean, and making sure I have everything I'll probably drive myself crazy!

luie b said:
Maybe if I get a deer 1st season with the .50 then I can use the .45 2nd season and muzzleloader season. I'm going to use what I'm confident with. Thursday night before season opens I'll be so jittery checking to make sure my gun is completely clear and clean, and making sure I have everything I'll probably drive myself crazy!

And if that feeling ever goes away that is when it is time to quit hunting! :haha:
Opening day all brings in all the what-if's but, if you have done you homework to get to that point, it all usually is just a great day. Whether you get a deer or not! Or at least it is for me. There is something about being one with nature that can make a man ask huge questions about life. Good luck! :thumbsup:

I've been using one or more .45s for years and have killed deer up to 75yards with them; all one shot kills with little or no running. My newest rifle is a .50, however.

I got both sighted in and the .45 is shooting real good with 70 gr. of 3fffg at 50 yards. I think that's what I'll use next weekend.

Good luck with whichever one you decide to tote Luie. I hope you see the big one. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'll still be awake Thursday night long after I shoulda been sleeping too. :haha:

I`ve killed deer with both .45 and .50cal rifles and never noticed any real difference in "killability" between the two. If hit in a good spot I always find a dead deer within a 100yds or so. I would probably lean toward my .50cal if I thought I`d be taking shots much past 50yds.
Use whichever rifle your most comfortable with and can shoot the best. That`s why I usually use my .45, It`s easier to tote around the woods and I just like it better than my .50cal.

Back