• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun fit and Hunting Accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Pan Dan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If you had two deer hunting rifles; the first one shot 4 inch groups at 75 yards and the second rifle shot 2 inch groups at 75 yards, but the first rifle fit you like a custom made glove and the second one didn’t fit you as well, which would you take hunting, all other things being equal?

Yup. The range rifle would stay home. "Groups" are real different in the field with a rifle that fits you than with one that doesn't.

Go for a walk with each rifle and try shooting some field targets rather than paper. You'll see.

I agree. My go-to deer rifle for years is a.45 flinter that never amazed me at the range compared to my other one. However I shot many a deer with it almost by feel. I'd start to shoulder it and it would fire as soon as it hit my shoulder. Rarely did I pause and aim like I did with my more accurate rifle.

Work on trigger and sights and load on the 4"
and go whack a critter. :thumbsup:

I'd take the one I liked better. From the descriptions that would probably be the one that fit.

Where I hunt the average shot is around 35 to 40 yards, so the better balanced and pointing would hold my interest.

To me gun fit is very critical, must pull up and shoot like an extension of your body, if it doesn't than why do you use it? I'm sure you can get them to tighten up a bit.

I would probably shoot the one with better groups more trying to get used to it but I couldn't get a better feel for it, I would go with the more comfortable one or even work with the one which doesn't group as well and see if I could get it to group better.

Can we define "fit" please? :grin:

Are we talking the sights settle into a proper sight picture very fast?

A 2" group and a 4" group at 75 yards are negligible when hunting, so the next question is, how much wider apart would the two groups need to be before you would consider the less comfortable rifle over the one that fit? :hmm:

How good are you at range estimation in the field and what distance are your deer commonly hit? You might check out your rifle to 75 yards but if you are always closer, and 75 is you max limit, then so much the better.

LD

Gun fit to me means the sights line up fast when shouldering my rifle. A rifle with a good cast off will do this, but a rifle that has a straight stock that causes you to crane your neck over it to line up the sights are a pain either at the range or hunting.

Can we define "fit" please?

My first thougth on reading the original post was "what are his weather conditions?".
I like older style rifles that have 'shotgun' style butt plates. e.g. Jaeger, early tranisitional, etc.
These come up to the shoulder easily and do not have hooks to catch on heavy clothing. Not being very large I also prefer a shorter pull than is considered average. This also helps with heavier clothing.
As stated the difference in accuracy is not a factor in this case. Both rifles shoot well withing the 'minute of deer' needed for hunting.
I guess the only proper response is: Do wat floats yer stick.

I asked the question because I had the same discussion with some fellows at my club. I am of the opinion that fit is more important than a minor difference in group size. But some argued that since accuracy is the ultimate decider when it comes to downing game, you should go with the rifle with the best capability to group.

Amongst the 5 fellows I was talking with I was in the minority so I asked here amongst folks to whom accuracy is not a theory but a make it or break it proposition because we shoot single shot muzzleloaders. By the way, I was the only one in the conversation who hunts with a muzzleloader.

I don't see the importance of tight groups when you are limited to one shot. Unless you nicked his skull he is not gonna wait around for you to reload.

If your sights come together quickly when you shoulder the gun and the first shot from a clean barrel is within 3" of your point of aim at your max range you are good to go.

I agree with you! I am a old American hunter that has adapting to the rifle fit down to a fine art.
After all it is only in MLR's that they try to fit them! Geo. T

By the way I would spend some time finding why the fitting rifle was shooting 4 inch groups!

Back