• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmeredith

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am realatively new to muzzleloading and have never built anything. I am looking at a few kits but don't reaaly know where to start. I want to build a flintlock that is a little more historically accurate than my first muzzleoader which is a T/C Hawken. The two things I have apprehension about are sight allignment, and browning the metal. I have not done anything like those two things and they are out of my comfort zone. So, how hard are they to get right, and can you gracefully recover from common mistakes when doing those things? Also, what does "pre-inlet" mean when referring to a stock?

Thanks,

Mark Meredith

Well I'll try to answer your guestions as best as I can. As for your first one, sight alinement I'm not sure what you mean? The distance from the breech to the rear sight? Or the left, right alinement?

As for bowning metal parts Laurel Mt. Forge's Cold browning solution is very easy to use and gives consistant results.

What the kit maker means by pre-inlet is that the stock will have inlets cut for some parts. At a minimum it would be the barrel channel, ramrod groove and hole. It can include the lock mortise, butt plate, tang, triggers, thimbles, etc. It really depends on the supplier.

The first step before I would buy anything would be to purchase either "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" by Chuck Dixon or "Recreating the American Longrifle" by William Buchele. Both go over the steps in building a rifle.

Thanks Ehoff,

Amazon has "Recreating the American Longrifle" and I'll get one. Seems like it would be a good start; at the very least a good read.

What is a good kit for a beginner? I have slightly better than average woodworking skills, common woodworking tools, and have never worked metal before.

Mark Meredith said:
I am realatively new to muzzleloading and have never built anything. I am looking at a few kits but don't reaaly know where to start. I want to build a flintlock that is a little more historically accurate than my first muzzleoader which is a T/C Hawken. The two things I have apprehension about are sight allignment, and browning the metal. I have not done anything like those two things and they are out of my comfort zone. So, how hard are they to get right, and can you gracefully recover from common mistakes when doing those things? Also, what does "pre-inlet" mean when referring to a stock?

Thanks,

Mark Meredith

Check out the "gun builders tutorial" on this forum. :wink: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/212751/

HH 60

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,
There are several good kits out there today. Jim Chambers kits usually get the nod for being the best. I looked at a Cabin Creek Kit at Ft. Fredrick this year and there is a lot finished on them. I believe the sight slots were even dovetailed in the barrel. Since you live in Ohio you should plan on attending the Colonial trade fair at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi. It's in October but I don't recall which weekend. If you check out there web site it should say. They have also been putting on a number of gun building classes there as well. Might be something to think about.

Go to the CLA show this Fri & Sat. at the Hyatt Regency in Lexington, KY. That is a easy drive for you, just hop on I-75 south & go.

There will be several guys there from this site, and there will be several venders with rifle parts sets & you can SEE them In Hand & know what you are getting into.

The Contemporary Longrifle Association Show is a awesome display of some of the finest rifles being made today, plus some awesome old rifles as well. And you get to put some faces to names on here. I guarantee you it will be the best $15. you will spend this year & you will not want to leave the place. :thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

Back