• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun shopping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
My buddy had decided to buy a percussion rifle and invited me along. The first shop had a couple of TCs that we looked over but pasted on them (the CVA didn’t get touched) we when to my favorite shop. They have a few TC s and some muskets. Looking over each I noticed another that the clerk got down for us, this Armsport Tyron made by Petersoli looked un-fired. After picking out all the flaws in each he wanted to step back and consider the merits of each. The man behind the counter says to me “ you need to see something, I know how you like projects.” This indicates that I’ve been to this place too often! He hands me a single shot pistol marked Dixie Gun Works and says it has issues. The hammer won’t hold in full or half cock, the key is missing, the ramrod tip is loose and some rust is on the barrel. The 44 calibre bore is bright as a new penny and the wood is near perfect. As I look the price tag over a grin starts forming on his face, “ I can do a bit better on that price for you.” I’m not sure but there might have been a giggle in there too. Yep, it’s on my work bench now all tore apart getting cleaned up. The trigger bar was too tall and a few swipes of the file fixed that. I’ll make a wedge and reblue the barrel along with some details to add another pistol that I don’t need to the safe. Oh, my buddy did buy the Tyron at a very good price along with the box and some goodys thrown in. All in all a nice morning at the gun shop!

Back