• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmithing tools and cleaning equipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if its right for this board, but im wondering what tools you guys can recommend for the proper care of a percussion revolver. I just want a dependable and decent priced kit to take care of one.

There will be minimalists who carry less than this. I agree that this is more than necessary and is probably more than anyone would carry into the woods if they were also carrying food, shelter, etc. But I am a Wallyworld toolbox kind of a guy.

I have a pistol box ond it contains:
Powder measure.
Flask
Capper
Range rod
Wooden Ram rod
Wooden short starter
Nipple wrench (for revolver)
Nipple wrench (for sinlge shot pistol)
Rod-end accessories (44/45 cal)
Rod-end accessories (36 cal)
1.5" diameter by 8" long maple dowel (used as a hammer)
Patches (for 45 cal single shot and 36 cal single shot)
Wads (44 cal)
Bore butter
Powder
T/C cleaning solvent
36 cal balls
44 cal balls
45 cal balls

I admit that this is "kitchen-sinking" of the worst sort, but I can grab this box and any of ML pistols and go to the range, secure that I have what I need.

I have a rifle box that is similarly stocked, but is smaller because I have only on caliber of rifle.

I also have a shooting bag which I always bring, it includes eye protection, ear protection, club membership cards, keys, several screwdrivers annd change to buy targets. That bag goes with my centerfire and rimfire guns as well.

Oh, yeah, the screwdrivers in my gun bag contain a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. But I had to thin one of the tips so it fit into the slot on the screw at the bottom of the grip. It was too thick.

Back