• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A Underhammer .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caneman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't know if any of you read my "Welcome" but I'm brand new to the forum and have in fact never fired a M/L. I'm looking at a Hopkins & Allen .36 which I'd be usung for short range mostly target, an occasional squirrel or groundhog on good days. Several back operations and 65 so I don't negotiate walking uneven ground very well.
Anyway, being totally unknowing, is the H&A a decent choice and reasonable quality for a beginner? Anything better in the $230 pricerange I should look at? If all goes well I'll be looking at a flinter kit to work on next winter so I'll be looking for suggestions then too.

Thanks,
Ron

welcome to the forum Tinder box!
There are alot of great people here to help you answer your questions. I think you will love a .36 !!!

**** WV SCROUNGER ***

The under hammer is not a very pretty gun yet it is one of the most efficent actions for black powder. You can use swaged or cast .36 caliber balls or #000 buckshot. Even though not historical accurate you can shoot .357 hollow base wadcutters for hog or deer if legal in your area with fantastic results. Both of my girls killed their first deer and hog with such a load out of a seneca I should never have sold. :redthumb:

Not very pretty? :says:
That's a matter of opinion! I think that the underhammer is a unique, but nice looking gun.

Tinderbox; I have a .36 underhammer ordered & I'm waiting shipment. Hopefully I'll have within the next week or so. Everyone that I have talked to about underhammers has said that they are extremely accurate.

"To each his own", said the old maid as she kissed the cow. I have an underhammer and it's pretty nice looking in my book. You can take them all the way if you want to go with a nice patchbox, octagonal barrel and do some engraving/wire-line inlays to the receiver. They can have a nice, over-all pleasingly curved style. Not as pretty as one of the new plastic-stocked Italian in-lines, 'course.

RedFeather

I think they're unique and neet looking. The only thing, I think they lack in cosmetics is the hand guard behind trigger(spring)guard that they had back when Numrich sold them. I would like to know how the new ones shoot, their price seems almost to good to be true, in todays market :thumbsup:

I am also interested un underhammer guns ,
how make them these days ? is it available in shotgun ?
in kit ?

There was a factory in Windsor Vermont , making some
in 1850 , the name was Lawrence & Robbins if my memory
is still good anybody ever heard of them ?

If we had enough people interested I could do a custom order so forum members could get them at a discount. If they are in stock to ship.

If you do get an underhammer, wear long sleeves when you shoot it.
If you shoot right handed, your left forearm, if it is supporting the barrel, will be subject to cap fragments when the gun fires.
Some of the underhammer guns also send fragments back at your right hand (which is located just behind the nipple).
Sidelock style guns cap fragments on the other hand, are not much of a problem for most people.

Buggy1.jpg
Ain't she purdy, an original aproximately 1840's boys rifle in it's own case :thumbsup:

I think they're unique and neet looking. The only thing, I think they lack in cosmetics is the hand guard behind trigger(spring)guard that they had back when Numrich sold them. I would like to know how the new ones shoot, their price seems almost to good to be true, in todays market :thumbsup:

The Numrich had a .350 bore so you could use cast 9mm bullets for conicals and 00 buck for balls. Additionally, they had a faster twist so you could load balls down for small game. There is one of their buggy rifles for sale on Auction Arms right now. ::

Great response from everyone. I'll remember the long sleeved shirt (probably when I burn myself)and the idea about the wadcutters. Reminds me I have some 105 gr. bullets .357 I cast when I was teaching my daughter to shoot years ago. May chack those out after I check barrel dimension. That is a fabulous cased boys rifle. Definitely something to keep in the family.

When I get my order placed and received I'll try to figure out what that handguard is and what it would be shaped like. Probably need to bug you guys again about what all I need. Bullets, patches, powder, caps, starter, measure and whatever. I'm going to look for a Muzzleloaders Digest for starters & bug you folks about the rest.

I found a site called[url] castbullet.com[/url] that has some articles on how to make some gear myself and I may try that if I'm not already up to my eyebrows trying to figure things out.

Thanks again for everyones response. Way beyond my expectations.

Tinderbox (Ron)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of Lawrence and Robbins, I don't know anything aboput them really.
Try[url] underhammers.com[/url] for modern underhammers. This guy also lists on Auction Arms often. I Haven't seen a shotgun version, but he has some BIG bores so it really isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned a few over the years, from boot pistols 36 cal to 50 cal rifles. They don't have many moving parts and Numrich has parts in West Hurley NY.
As far as cap splatter you can cut a notch in the hammer to direct frags away from your arms.
230.00 seems a bit high, I think you could do better and possibly get into a 40 or 45 which could be used for hunting or plinking, but I am from Maine and we are pretty thrifty.
Nit Wit :m2c:

Henry:
Find a copy of "Underhammer Guns" by Herschel Logan (out of print but may still be found thru Amazon or E-Bay). The best single source for information and tons of illustrations of all kinds of underhammer guns, even an underhammer flintlock! Published before the Numrich Arms guns came out, but I believe there is some discussion of contemporary underhammer bench (slug) guns. It' a good read, too.

Kendall was located in Cornish Flats, just across the Connecticut River from Windsor, VT. He hired Vermont penitentiary labor to make small piece parts (triggers, hammers, springs, sights and screws) from which he assembled guns in his shop with barrels rifled there.

Underhammers of the period were made mostly in some New England states. They were extremely popular with settlers moving west and with 49ers, since they were inexpensive and reliable. Often they were carried tucked into wastebands or boot tops.

v/r, BlueJacket

Henry: Mine is 45 target that means 1" round barrel no forearm and it is a tack driver out to 50 yards. Get ragged hole in targets. For shotguns the company that is making them now show 12ga. and even 8 and 4ga rifled or smooth if anyone would want one that size. Do watch your non-firing arm as they will burn you if you get under the forearm. Just not as pretty as a Pennsylvania but good solid guns easy to clean and maintain.
Fox :thumbsup:

Never be fooled by that rather odd looking Numrich Arms
H&A, the gun as a rule is deadly accurate.

I had a .45 back in the 60's, it shot better than I could, took three deer with it.

Back