• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hair-on Cowhide...Project Suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetcanoe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy!

Just came in possession of a gorgeous 2x3' piece of hair-on cowhide. Its a really nice tiger stripe or brindle pattern. Been digging through books to get some ideas for possibles bags, etc I could make with it. Any suggestions or pictures are appreciated. But at the same time I though it would be cool to hear any PC considerations for hair-on cowhide regarding 18th Century accoutrements from you re-enactor folks.

Kind of a rambling question, sorry! Just excited about how nice this piece of leather is and wanted to do something real nice with it.

Thanks!
-Jet

Jet,

I agree with Swamp. The alternating colors on the calfskin bag are wonderful! If your hide is close to that one, I believe you should try it.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Bud.

Swampy is THE MASTER of shootin bags made out of leather! However I have been cutting up a cowhide rug myself...
Picture113.jpg

Picture107.jpg

Picture106.jpg

2x3' peice... make a nice hat.

if you had more to the tune of oh... 6x6' or so i'd suggest making a coat.

if you're a skinny guy.. it takes more like a 6x8 peice for me, but i've got these broad shoulders and a barrel chest.

FIknapsack72.jpg

I would make a knapsack or large bag, similar to what was carried by British soldiers in the F&I war period.

Supposedly keeping the hair on makes it more waterproof.

Brasilikilt said:
FIknapsack72.jpg

I would make a knapsack or large bag, similar to what was carried by British soldiers in the F&I war period.

Supposedly keeping the hair on makes it more waterproof.

ooo... got a pattern for that? it looks simple, but murphy's first law is 'nothing is as easy as it looks'

Latest posts

Back