• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer/storage question…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When cleaned, unloaded and stored away, do you guys store your rifle with the hammer down on the nipple or is it resting between a piece of leather like some members do? Does it really matter?? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply’s guys. Seems the general consensus is to just leave it down on the nipple. So I’ll continue doing that. Suppose our pioneer fore fathers probably did too. Seems in modern times we invent things to baby our guns more than they did (I know I do anyways). Gotta start telling myself to treat them as the tools they are intended to be, keep ‘em’ cleaned and quit over thinking it… Thanks guys!

When cleaned, unloaded and stored away, do you guys store your rifle with the hammer down on the nipple or is it resting between a piece of leather like some members do? Does it really matter?? Thanks.
Once a gun is cleaned and ready to put away, I would just be sure the hammer was down to take the stress off the main spring. No point storing a gun with the spring compressed. If placing something between the hammer and nipple makes you feel better, go for it.

Latest posts

Back