• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand Cannon - Stock help needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Scratch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got this little old (presumably Chinese)iron cannon that I assume was a hand cannon of some sort. It is 9" long, and 2.75" wide, bore is about 31mm.
392051905.jpg

392051906.jpg

Given it's resemblance to European hand cannons, I'd like to set it in a Euro style stock (just for display, I'm not going to shoot it). I also want the stock to be attractive, and am inclined toward those that look more like traditional stocks rather than tillers. For example:

392052087.jpg

391958376.jpg

391958067.jpg

So here are some sketches. My inclination is toward "B", but I think it might be slightly too modern in appearance for a gun of this type. Does anyone have any opinions or critiques about what I've drawn up so far (such as one being more accurate than the other, or perhaps they're all wrong wrong wrong for reasons XYZ), or about this kind of gun in general?

392052383.jpg

The examples you posted look good. If you wnat it to look authentic, stick to the styles of the period. They held them like pikes under the urm to fire, so a cheekpiece is not to the point.

Why do you think it is Chinese? (I imagine there is a suitable Chinese example to imitate!)

ChrisPer said:
The examples you posted look good. If you wnat it to look authentic, stick to the styles of the period. They held them like pikes under the urm to fire, so a cheekpiece is not to the point.

Maybe I'll go with C. A & C were drawn from historic examples (examples of C are provided by the pics), but yes, the B-type that I was favoring for aesthetic reasons looks a century or two too late for the type of gun. This was kind of the direction I was thinking of going with it when I drew up B, not so much a cheeckpiece but a raising of the buttstock to bring the whole thing in line with the shooter:

392193285.jpg

ChrisPer said:
Why do you think it is Chinese? (I imagine there is a suitable Chinese example to imitate!)

It came with a small collection of Chinese pole cannons, so I assumed that it came from the same source.

I'm having a hard time coming up with images of single-barreled Chinese guns of the period, with the probable exception of this one:

391958376.jpg

Again, which means I should probably lean toward C.

It may not look it, but the cannon is pretty heavy; it weighs about 12 lb, which seems heavy for a handgonne-type weapon to my very inexperienced eyes. Would a stock even be appropriate for such a thing?

I'm sorry, are you building a fantasy piece? I see no indications that this piece was ever stocked. It does, however, strongly resemble a broeller, German signal cannon. Just my opinion.

CP

Back