• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hang fire problems today with Prodex RS powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John W Hughes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Today while shooting my T/C Hawken everything was going great. Normally I use GOEX FFg when I am shooting. However, I had some American Pioneer Jim Shockey Gold, and some Pyrodex RS that I wanted to use up because it’s been sitting for a couple of years.

I shot 9 times with the GOLD and no problem and decided to try my Pyrodex RS powder next. I made a load up and went to shoot and a hangfire. The cap went off but no Boom!

I sat for a little over a minute and then laid the rifle down and got another cap and same thing happened. Sat for another minute and this time I got a bucket of water disassembled the rifle pulled the nipple and soaked the powder charge for 30 seconds and then pulled the ball. Pushed out the powder charge and cleaned and dried everything up and tried again. Same thing! :confused: Cleaned and dried everything over again .
Then I went back to the Shockey gold and shot another 10 times and no problems.

The pyrodex RS is 4 years old and the Shockey Gold is 5 years old. Both sit in the same box in the basement with the lids tight.

I am assuming the Pryrodex is no good but how do I check for sure?

well it will take several months but I would pour on garden and see if the vegi's are more perky next spring! :rotf:

I have actually never had pyrodex be/go bad. Some of my guns hate it though and they get a goex diet.

dump it on the ground in small separate piles throw matches at the piles. if it all burns up it probably wasn't bad. if it doesn't burn it wasn't any good. either way your problems will be solved.

Thanks for the quick responses. I was afraid I already knew the answer. Just hate to see so much go to waste BUT it is a pain having to go thru the effort of pulling the ball and starting all over.

Pyrodex is notorious for going bad in storage. The match test will show you if it has the slightest chance of going off.

I would have tried pulling the nipple and putting some of the GOEX under the nipple to see if the GOEX could set the charge off. At least the GOEX would have blown the load out.

I think you have pretty well established that the Pyrodex is of questionable utility.

This is an excellent answer! Short of using a C02 discharger, I always recommend the use of some real powder under the nipple.

To the OP: Your Pyrodex is oxidized & is now garbage. Dispose of properly (as mentioned above). I have friends that can shoot 20 year old powder, but it's not uncommon--it's merely REAL powder (Goex)!

I actually have a can of 20 yr old + pyrodex and it shoots just fine :confused: . Even the clumps when crushed! But thats in my guns that like pyrodex. As I said before im going with real black now...hell ya gotta clean anyway so no reason not to since it is readily available on line.

I shot some 16 year old pyrodex a week ago and it worked fine .
Powder doesn't go bad it just gets handled improperly.

Try opening up the nipple a little.
pyrodex and other substitutes are harder to ignite than BP that's why the hot-shot nipple was invented and why modern unmentionables use the 209 primer.

also I prefer P grade over RS grade.

I bought some pounds of the devils powder some years ago. always load it duplex with 20 grains under a loward charge of the evil stuff. It works fine. I lack the funds to toss out a few hundred dollars of powder.

Pyrodex RS is a light and fluffy powder. One guy described it as kitty litter. Your problem may be the powder chamber of your rifle. The RS may bridge at the end of the bore and the nipple flame then not reach it. I have had the same thing happen in a .58 flintlock Hawken with a patent breech with Swiss 1 1/2F. The flash hole was 1" to the rear in the .360" diameter powder chamber, and the flame did not reach the powder. Near total failure to fire, WITH SWISS! Take a 1/4 or 3/8" wooden dowel and sharpen one end like a pencil. Put it down the bore and twist it into the (reduced diameter) powder chamber. Pull it out and the marked ring will tell you how large that powder chamber is. I don't know that rifle, but it may be as small as 1/4". There is nothing wrong with your powder. If need be, you can fill your measure with it, tap it to settle it about 1/4", then top that off with black powder, 2F or 3F, OR EVEN PYRODEX P (a much finer powder) and pour that into the bore. This will make Pyrodex or Triple 7 work perfectly, even in a flintlock with about five grains black powder booster (not Pyrodex P), with black powder prime in the pan.

Well this is an UPDATE!

I followed a few peoples suggestions and put 5 grains of powder in a old cast iron pan, thru in a match and POOF!

So then I loaded it in another rifle that I had used the powder in all of the time and it went BOOOM! Shot 3 times till the rain started.

SO Herb may be on to something with the powder chamber. When I have more time I will look into that.

Or just go back to the GOEX 2f :)

I shoot lots of RS in a .54 GPR rifle without problems.

But, I initially (1985) had some issues, and adopted the habit of following the powder drop with six smacks with the heel of my hand against the stock, opposite the lock. I think I read that in one of Fadala's books. Works fine.

You also need a Hot Shot nipple. TC package at WalMart, probably. TC Hot Shot #11 Cap Nipple No. 7075. Essential for Pyrodex. You do not need magnum caps.

I guess all I know is I shoot goex 3f and my guns go bang. all of them no switching this or that. and I'm sure they would with 2f also? one powder goes bang in certain guns but not all? or one powder that goes bang in all guns?? not saying other peoples ways wont work. but how much hassle do you want. unless you do have a whole bunch of pyro to get rid of. but if its part of a jug?

Going to have to add to the chorus and suggest just getting real black powder.
The old can of pyrodex...I have doubts about, so I don't use it, but I have no doubts that the real gun powder will work.

I am assuming the Pryrodex is no good but how do I check for sure?

Easy, all you gotta do is look at the label. See where it says "Pyrodex"?
:stir: :haha:

having aquired nearly (not quite) a gun a year for my many decades of addiction I certainly have a few guns that shoot a powder or two poorly and others great. Ya gotta do yer range time and see what works for each gun. Thats why I soon switch to 3f (or 2f for my one that likes it best) and stop with the pyrodex n 777. 777 works way better than pyrodex though. None of my guns have any issues with real black. I simply didnt know you could order online till I stopped by here a few years ago!! And I have never been able to buy locally....closest was PHX and now Tucson. I was hording and used 10 grain starter charges on those guns that only liked real BP.

Back