• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hatfield fullstock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Hayes

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Hatfield rifles? I have found a fully stocked rifle that i would like to buy but i don't know anything about them. Any thoughts please.

There is quite a range of "sins and songs" tied to the Hatfield line of rifles. Some early ones were especially well made and highly regarded while lots of corners were cut on later versions. As always, it gets down to the details.

I'm not conversant in the details, but I'm aware they're distinct enough to justify a wide range of prices and service expectations. Since it's kind of a "buyer beware" market, I've shied away from them. Doesn't mean there aren't some good rifles and good buys, and I know a couple of guys who really scored. But I know that some folks paid a lot for what was represented to them as a special rifle. Not.

I bought a used one a few years back. It looked great and possibly unfired.I think it was a late model as it looked identical to the pedersoli guns. Lemon would be the term I would pick for it. Thankfully I got it from a reputable shop that I have done business with for years. After the rifle made 2 trips to their gunsmith they offered to buy it back from me and I took them up on it. It had lock issues and set trigger issues. At the range I pulled the ram rod from the thimbles and as the ramrod cleared each thimble they fell off. A few weeks after buying it back from me the shop offered to sell it back to me for $150 as a fixer upper. I didnt. I kind of wish I had bought it back. It was a nice looking gun maybe it would have been worth tinkering with.

I have heard that the quality ranged from gtreat to "Lemon" each gun wouild neeed to be carefully inspected and I would not purchase one without a return if not satisfied cavaet

I had a beautiful one about 15 years ago. It was a great piece. I bought it used. It was in perfect condition. I think it was an older one. It was a straight shooter.

I bought one when they first came out,it was an excellent gun, very accurate.

Unfortunately, I had to sell it to fund a more PC custom gun. Wish I still had it.

This is not really a very well made gun and fit to finish isn't very good. The finish is nice and the bore is nice and bright, but i just don't know about the $799 price tag.

"but I just don't know about the $799 price tag.'

I do, run the other way, that money is real close to a new TVM or used semi custom with top quality and a bit of authenticity tossed in as well.

I don't know about them TVM guns but i do think i will lean towards a Northstar West. Thanks everyone!

Northstar West are very good Trade guns, if that's what you want. Smoothebore, and simple. Good, Rep, and Product. TVM is also very good for what they offer, a semi custom gun. Both are good value for the money.

Bill

I had a .50 with a three digit serial number. It was beautiful to look at and it sparked relaibly. The GM barrel was very accurate when I sand bagged it. I could not shoot that rifle for manure however. The stock would catch me right on the cheek bone every time. Talk about a flinch inducer, I traded it for an M1 carbine.
The fit and finish where ok, the inletting was tight and sharp but there wasn't a straight surface anywhere on the outside of the stock.

Back