• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have you ever considered the cost of doing business

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make most of my items needed for black powder, Never built a rifle ( waiting on Mr. Kiebler to come out with a left handed kit )but have made a few knives, all leather goods such as shooting pouches, flint wallets, ball bags, Knife sheaths, camping items - Brazier, fire grates those sort of items (just finished a ball bag for the .62) and most of the small tools needed to keep the guns working (pliers,turn screws, vent picks and brushes that sort of items, made some clothing especially mocs. and legggings, Built a few powder horns. I do it for the reason I enjoy making the things I can, And when using those things especially when hunting it takes me that much closer to the time period. Figure if I was on the frontier and scratching my arse to make ends meet this is what I would have to do, Have gave away items that I made. Donated items to fund raisers at the events we attend, If in a blanket shoot always put out a item made bye me. Never sold items. Figure if I done it to make money I would be standing on the corner with a sign.

When I hear people complain of the cost of a custom built muzzleloader I remember an article by I think Mark Baker. It was about Daniel Boone and his party being captured by the Indians. They listed the firearms they lost and put a price on each. Mark converted into todays money. I don't remember the exact average price of them, but I do know that what we pay for muzzleloaders today is cheap compared to what they cost in the 18th century.

I’ve had my own “ business” for several years now, Tax ID number and all. Until two years ago all my work was building musical instruments, probably 80% were custom-order builds.
Last year I began building flintlock rifles and powder horns have been wonderfully happy doing it.
At this point in my life and career I am finally able to say NO to any more commissions except for a rare exception which is done as a favor.
I have noticed that making the musical instruments there are far fewer building costs (and less shipping costs). I made nice profits.
I love doing the rifles and horns a lot and will continue as long as I am able to, even without realizing as much gain. (The musical instruments are itching to get back into production, and will do so in a while as well)
It’s love of what you are doing that keeps people like this going. Hopefully it shows.

Last edited:
My hope is that I'm able to sell a rifle I build in order to fund parts for the next one and maybe buy a new tool for making them. I just want to be able to make them as I please without incurring a lot of debt or having a collection of 50 of my own muzzleloaders

I used to make custom stocks for modern guns. These were high end classic bolt actions with intricate checkering. I liked doing it and had lots of energy back then. I charged about double minimum wage. I had no overhead or business expenses. I thought I was making some money. The truth was I was charging far less than comparable work from other stock makers for similar quality work. Name recognition and reputation are worth money, I was short of both. It would have taken years to build a name.

Doing real gunsmithing is a maze of regulations and paper work. Dealing with them pays nothing. They are a time expense that off sets productive work. There is a liability issue. Setting up an LLC is necessary to shield personal assets. LLCs and lawyers are not free.

Making a real living off it is difficult. The depth of knowledge necessary to do quality work takes years to learn. The tooling is very expensive before you get your first paying job.

A gunsmith is often part of a retail business. The retail business is the money maker. A huge frustration to a gunsmith is customers wanting to chat all day. That is awkward, gunwork needs to get done, insulting customers is bad for business. That can mean working after hours, weekends or closing on some days to get the gun work done.

For all of the above reasons I avoided the temptation to follow by heart. Maybe that was the right thing, maybe not. It is too late now. Gunsmithing is a great hobby. It is artistic and satisfying. As a hobby you can work on what you want on your schedule. I would hate to try to make a living at it.

I quit taking any orders on knives and guns. I build what I want and if someone wants to buy it great. As long as it sells for enough to pay for materials and I make a couple bucks I’m happy. I really don’t worry about my time building it. I do it for fun.

The full time builders that are “making a living” typically have spouses with jobs that cover health insurance and such. I don’t know anybody who cleared $50k a year. Do the math; it’s just not that possible. I considered going pro ML builder in the mid 1980s and went to grad school instead.
There’s a ton of non-building stuff builders have to do. Schmooze with customers who want you to build them a gun and be their best friend while you do it. Order stuff. Ship stuff. Go to shows. I had one customer who cured me of the idea that I wanted to go pro. Best customer ever. Saved me a lot of headache.

Years ago I made some rifles for others. The deal was simple you pay for the parts and then I would build the rifle for a set price. I wasn't trying to make a living at it, Just wanted to get more experience. I actually wasn't even making minimum wage for the time I had in building one. Got tired of people who wanted a custom rifle complaining they could buy a TC for less money. Since then just build what I want and if you like it we can make a deal. If nobody likes it fine, I have nephews and great nephews who will appreciate the rifles when I get tired of one or get a new one to play with built.
Folks have no clue what it takes. They think they can build a rifle in no time.

Your original topic question was;
"Have you ever considered the cost of doing business"
First thought was,, Well Sure I do, but it doesn't drive me.
At the end of your post you said;
Well, the pleasure I get from doing the job is worth it, and it keeps me off the streets and out of the bar's
And that part makes sense to me,
That's where I'm at, it's a hobby. And I enjoy my hobby.

I think it's something we learn with time

It’s hard to have a job of your dreams and make enough of money. I think most people who are living their dream also have a day job that helps them make a living or have someone else to provide for them.

I wanted to become a photographer for a very long time, but then I realized it wasn’t financially possible, and I didn’t have the possibility to have not a well-paying job.

Now I want to start my online shop and hope it will start bringing me some additional money and I will eventually be able to quit my regular job. Now I just hope it all works as planned.

Yes. But the best builder I know
I paid my dues. Started building as a "hobby" in 1980. In 1996 I quit my "real" job and built ML's fulltime. My wife is/was a full time self employed artist so there was no "Free insurance" so I had to work my ass off. The internet was/is a blessing. I no longer have the expense of traveling to shows, which was a huge expense. The key to my success was speed and my ability to make a gun people would pay money for that was enough to live on.
So finally about 2015 my hands, elbows, shoulders and lower back gave out. By 2017 I could no longer work. Got a shoulder surgery so my arm would at least move again. That was a 5 month lay off to heal. I found some supplements that got my hands working again so I was able to work 2-3 hours a day until my body crapped out. The last gun I built was finished last February. Severe burn out. So, I don't know if I retired or just stopped working. I haven't had a vacation since 1995 so I figure a year off is well deserved. I haven't owned a flint guns since the early 2000's so I'd like to make maybe 1/2 dozen for myself so I can actually shoot and not have to borrow a gun. I'm starting to feel like I'm ready to go back to work for a couple hours a day...we'll see.
I charge $40/hr these days....when I work. If I wanted to make real money I should have went into heavy equipment operation.

Years ago I made some rifles for others. The deal was simple you pay for the parts and then I would build the rifle for a set price. I wasn't trying to make a living at it, Just wanted to get more experience. I actually wasn't even making minimum wage for the time I had in building one. Got tired of people who wanted a custom rifle complaining they could buy a TC for less money. Since then just build what I want and if you like it we can make a deal. If nobody likes it fine, I have nephews and great nephews who will appreciate the rifles when I get tired of one or get a new one to play with built.
Many muzzleloaders are among the cheapest folks you will find anywhere: not because they don't have money, they are just too cheap to spend it....

I am one of those that enjoys using the fruits of the labors of others, I am perfectly willing to pay for the use or ownership. Having done many things in life and I understand the costs of a business and what it takes to do business. I've never been willing myself to start a business of any kind. I'm not a cheapskate and have never dickered on a price of an item I wanted. I either paid the price or if I didn't want it bad enough to pay the price I did without. I'm just glad that there are those that love to do certain things to keep going at it regardless of profit.

Back