• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie1105

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I'm hoping someone could help me identify a rifle. This was my late grandfathers rifle that has been passed down to me. I'm aware that it's a Thompson Center .45cal, but I haven't found any other marking anywhere on the barrel to identify what model it is. I'm still a newbie so I've heard of various TC models but don't know how to ID them.

Also would be curious to know what decades these rifles were produced and how valuable they are (I wouldn't ever sell this one, just a curiosity.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me more info on it!

Attachments

• IMG_3438.jpg
    IMG_3438.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Agreed, an early TC Hawken. Some of the signs are the escutcheons are inlet rather then laying on the forearm, little writing on either side of the barrel. A well made rifle in very good shape and could bring $500 in some markets.

Agreed, an early TC Hawken. Some of the signs are the escutcheons are inlet rather then laying on the forearm, little writing on either side of the barrel. A well made rifle in very good shape and could bring $500 in some markets.
Is there any other specific model name? I've seen older TC guns like Seneca/Cherokee/New Englander on the forums before that all looked like Hawken-style guns to me. Forgive the ignorance if that's a stupid question.

Just went and checked, serial number on the barrel is 5 digits and starts with 89
5 digits probably mid 70's
Is there any other specific model name? I've seen older TC guns like Seneca/Cherokee/New Englander on the forums before that all looked like Hawken-style guns to me. Forgive the ignorance if that's a stupid question.
The seneca is smaller,shorter but has the brass like the hawken. The Cherokee, and new englander are single trigger and no brass hardware.

@Aggie1105, the T/C Hawken will have a barrel that measure 15/16" across the flats and is 28" long. The Seneca is smaller. What I see in the pictures is an early T/C Hawken. It appears to be in good condition. The value assessed by @Phil Coffins is probably the highest value with most selling for about $400.

Back