• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heads Up!!! New scam out there.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know how far this reaches, but twice now (once yesterday and again just now) we have come up against what appears to be the latest scam:

A person claiming to be with a vendor (one we never heard of, but the most recent one we use regularly and in fact have transactions pending) called and said that the credit card # they had on file for us was expired and they needed a new one before they could process our order. The "vendor" we never heard of hung up right away when we began to ask questions. The one "with" the familiar vendor was quite pushy even when we started asking for details on the invoices (She said she didn't have that information). When we asked for a person at the vendor by name, she hung up on us.

Watchyerbackside!!!!

BrownBear

Thanks for the Heads Up. This has been going on in the lower 48 for awhile and here in Winona, MN, there is always somebody who falls for it. Best policy is not to give out any info to, or do business with, anybody that calls you. Say you will call them back regardless of whether or not you think they are legit. Calling the company that they say they represent to inform them of the situation and the police are both good ideas too.

A twist on this that is more insidious is that you get a call from Visa, Master Card or some other seemingly legit credit card company with which you do business. The person will say that they have noted some unusual charges to your card amounting to more than XXX dollars, did you charge that and if not, do you want the charges reversed? Of course, you say no to the charges so they ask for your security code so they can either 1) check the card transaction status and reverse the charges, 2) issue a new code to be sent in the mail, 3) some other BS answer.

This scam catches a few folks because the call seemingly comes from the credit company and they are calling to "be helpful" by inquiring about billing discrepancies.

I have had fun with a couple of these callers by giving out totally bogus numbers and other "data". They eagerly write anything down but don't have the guts to call back when it doesn't work.

BE VERY CAREFUL GIVING OUT INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE TO ANYONE YOU DON'T KNOW. :nono: :curse:

I had kind of a reverse situation... I went to the grocery store and bought about $200 worth of groceries. I got to the line, stuff was rung up, then when I got ready to pay they said my debt card was no good. I was embarrassed and a little upset. I didn't have the cash to pay for it so I told them ring it up as a cash payment, leave my stuff in the cart, and I would be back in a few minutes. Well I went to the debt machine and it would let me have any money. I call the number on the back of the card and the lady said my account was blocked and she said they do it when they see charges that don't seem right. They turned my card "back on" and I got the cash and got my groceries. Good thing, I was getting hungry!!!
You may ask what I bought that caused all the trouble? A book I bought on raising chicken from a Amazon...... :shake:

chickensbackyard.jpg

SP

BE VERY CAREFUL GIVING OUT INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE TO ANYONE YOU DON'T KNOW.

That's the best reason for caller-ID around. Combined with a "smart" answering system that can automatically hangup on no-ID, out-of-area, and can be configured to recognize repeat offenders.

It also hangs up on the various gun-rights group begging for donations (obligatory firearm-related line) :p

It's probably off-topic, but if anyone's interested I can suggest the pc-based system I use when I get home this afternoon.

vic

BE VERY CAREFUL GIVING OUT INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE TO ANYONE YOU DON'T KNOW.

That's the best reason for caller-ID around. Combined with a "smart" answering system that can automatically hangup on no-ID, out-of-area, and can be configured to recognize repeat offenders.

It also hangs up on the various gun-rights group begging for donations (obligatory firearm-related line) :p

It's probably off-topic, but if anyone's interested I can suggest the pc-based system I use when I get home this afternoon.

vic

Amen...good reminder to us all never to give out private info over the phone to an unsolicited caller.

Ask them to send their request to you in writing...you'll never hear from them again

Back