• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from the tail of the Selkirk Mountains.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in Carlsbad for 15 years. Loved the north. Living in NM and the southwest is live living in a very spread out small town.

I am new to this and in the process of building my first muzzleloader.
Welcome Will from north of the line! You will enjoy being here- lots of really good information for you to gnaw on😊
I grew up on the Appalachian Plateau. I have hunted, fished and rough camped since I was a kid. I have a wandering mind. Boy Scout, Professional Art-Historian, Psychotherapist, Law Enforcement Officer, Wildfire Fighter, Equestrian/horse trainer. Of Scots descent from a family that fought in every American war since 1763. Semi-retired now (which means I actually hated retirement and am back to being a full-time Psychotherapist instead of an administrator.) After I stopped training horses and left southeast New Mexico, I needed a new hobby, so I decided to build historic rifles and punch holes in "paper." Greetings. Will Law

Welcome from East Anglia. Given our rather peculiar gun laws, I don't actually build anything, although I'd dearly love to. Looks like you do most of the things I would have done if I'd been born next door to you, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you are up to. As for building a gun - well, it has already been mentioned that there are a few world-class gunmakers here, and a special part of the forum to learn more about how they go about things. I never get tired of reading their posts nor of looking at their remarkable skills in fashioning wood, iron, steel and brass.

1643728889867.png

The mountains behind you Will look like my beloved NC Blue Ridge. The Scottish Games are held 25 minutes from my house.Great meeting you today. What kit did you get, I just finished a KIBLER. Wonderful experience! What period dates are you wanting and from what section of the country or world? Mine was a colonial kit modified to be as close as I could to the Appalachian mountain range in Boone, NC circa 1760-1780. As director of HORN IN THE WEST I helped with the casting of LAST OF THE MOHICANS here. Beautiful and challenging country!

The mountains behind you Will look like my beloved NC Blue Ridge. The Scottish Games are held 25 minutes from my house. Great meeting you today. What kit did you get? I just finished a KIBLER. Wonderful experience! What period dates are you wanting, and from what section of the country or world? Mine was a colonial kit modified to be as close as possible to the Appalachian mountain range in Boone, NC, circa 1760-1780. As director of HORN IN THE WEST, I helped with the casting of LAST OF THE MOHICANS here. Beautiful and challenging country!

I am starting with an investarms Hawken, which seemed the simplest. Since I live in the Rockies also seemed appropriate. I am interested in the frontier period from 1750 to 1850 in American expansion west. I am also interested in the period 1898- 1920 from when my grandfather was a young boy and young man.

grew up in very southern Ohio and Bluefield, WVa. The picture was taken in NM at a site called Dog canyon; what you see is the other side of the canyon and the mountains NE of El Paso in the far distance. I had the chance to meet and speak with Russell Means, a very kind man.

I miss the Appalachians and the culture. People outside the area have no idea who we really are. There is a great prejudice about our accent and lifeways. Mountaineers forever.

I signed up for this because as I am getting together the materials for this build, I am doing research and wanting to make this as authentic as possible; I am sure many of you have taken the same approach. Currently, the original .50 Hawken online images are few and far between and not always good details. I want to get everything together before I start and have a clear plan. I have been thinking about stock color and stains. Any thoughts? I am not touching this kit until I have thought this through completely and have a plan to work toward. I am already seeing that I have to change the shape of the front of the stock and the rod pipe and cap on the kit I bought. So I am here for advice good and bad and will sort all that out. I am sure you all will help sort it out. Thanks ahead for your help.
Welcome. I think we will build you a cabin so you can stay awhile.

Back