• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Barrel Problem!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatcon

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had my trade gun antique aged finished and now I can see a seam line in the top of the barrel. Is this safe ? I have been shooting this gun for a while and am now wandering if it could be dangerous to shoot. It was originally built for me by Jackie Brown. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Never posted a pic before. I will check out the process and try to post one. However is this normal and safe ?

There are a bunch of JB's smoothbores being used.Smoothbores have no resistance when fired, unless there is an obstruction at the muzzle,snow,mud,etc.I would not worry.
Nit Wit

I have just had so many other problems with it. It had to be rebreached , the trigger had to be refitted , the lock was another issue. The late J Eder was a HUGE help in getting this smoothie into working order, I will miss him. Anyway why does this barrel have a seam? My other guns do not. Has anyone ever had one blow up? It just made me uncomfortable.

There are some questions to be answered before yours can be. Do you see evidence of a seam at the muzzle? How about when you look down the bore with a light? Is there any indication that the seam goes all the way through the barrel wall? That may sound crazy but if you see a noticeable seam in the inner barrel then that may indicate a weak spot in its construction.

I am not familiar with Mr. Brown's work but if nobody has reported any problems, then you ought to be safe. If you are extremely worried by this and I sense that you are, proof the dismounted barrel with a double charge. Smoothbores do not generate the pressures that rifled guns do but it is certainly possible to blow up one. Does he make his own barrels or use commercially made barrels? Since you had other problems with the gun caution is in order but hopefully the barrel is sound.

J.B is well known for making his own barrels from DOM tubing. Even so I would not expect to be able to see a seam on the outside of the barrel since it has been turned down from a larger OD. I would expect that process to obliterate any visual evidence of the seam. Apparantly not in this case.

Me neither. Since he makes his own barrels then I think Journeyman should contact him immediately. May not be a problem but I would err on the side of caution.

Jackie Brown is known for making guns very quickly and inexpensively. Your dissapointing experience is, sadly, typical among JB customers. The tubing barrels are what he uses. Some have visible seams inside and are usually at the bottom. Opinions vary as to wether or not his barrels are safe.
My JB fowler does not have a visible seam, I stipultated to Jackie that it must not. But my 36" barrel as ordered came to me at 31" and with a host of other problems.
Do some searches on the forum for Jackie Brown for more information.
IMHO, the seam you have is probably safe. Having it on top where it can be seen is a huge dissapointment. Majorly ugly I would guess.
How old is the gun? Jackie is usually cooperative in repairing his guns.

Where do I start? I will check the bore tomorrow for a interior seam. I have owned the gun for several years. My experience with Brown was not good , however there are other forums to address that. Suffice it to say I have zero interest in that option. I choose not to speak any further about him, my concern is should I continue to shoot it or should I salvage the good parts and start over. I still have two good eyes and all of my digits and would like to keep them. However I do not want to trash a good piece. I will search the forum for DOM barrels . Thanks again

Ya know.....I believe I would follow my instincts and not shoot it. Some times The Good Lord just gives us a burden for a reason and a barrel is cheap even if its just a trip to the ER for a stitch or too?

Rifleman 1776 you are right about the seam on top , it sorta jumps out and grabs you. I mean you sorta lose yourself on the seam . It kinda makes it look like a cheap imitation toy meant to hang on the wall instead of shoot. I just do not understand why I never noticed it until I had it refinished. The aged finish is beautiful except for that stupid seam . By the way you seem to have some experience with DOM barrels so if I may ask what is your typical load ? Thanks

If you go to page 2 on this forum you will find a 3 page discussion on D.O.M. barrels. I'm not saying ya or nay.

A buddy of mine had a Jackie Brown gun with a DOM barrel that had so many grooves in it that it looked like straight rifling. He had it relined by Whitaker. Now after some serious lock work and a new liner the gun shoots very well.

Many Klatch

Thanks for the thread on page 2 . I feel much better about it. The was the most informative conversation on a difficult subject I have seen anywhere. I think I am going to proof it myself just to finish off any doubts I have and then learn to live with the looks. Much thanks

By the way how do I get apin touch with Whitaker if I decide to go that route? Thanks

By the way you seem to have some experience with DOM barrels so if I may ask what is your typical load ?

J'man, check out the links suggested by Armakiller. Most of my info came from dealing with JB and posts on this forum. I had never heard of DOM before coming to this forum. Recent posts indicate DOM is sufficient for fowler use.
My loads are generally less than I read others use in similar guns and circumstances.
My best results, for my 20 ga., are in the 50 to 70 gr. range using 3Fg real bp. (Goex, Shuetzen). Fowlers/smoothies are thin barreled guns not designed or intended for high pressure loads. I might test and use up to 90 gr. for the occasional tough critter hunt. e.g. bison

Journeyman, I've been shooting a Jackie Brown 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore with a DOM barrel for 16 years with no problem. It is my main hunting gun, and I've fired heavy charges for both ball and shot for all that time. As in 80 gr. FFFg and 2 oz. of shot for turkeys.

I've also been listening to this discussion for most of that time. No evidence of blown guns has ever been presented, as far as I know. Much evidence of safe operation has been presented over the years, but most of the participants in these discussions seem immune to that.

Spence

Back