• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help build by 2 bore or 4 bore boomstick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recycle33952

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I decided being a newbie builder I would honor your suggestions and base my finished rifle apon that. Yes thanks to you kind folks I found em 2 bore and 4 bore barrels!!!!! Queastion#1 it asks specify barrel dia , rate of twist and breech plug thread size. need some help here lol..
second is a 2bore over doing it? I find a 10 ga modern 750 grain slug with 4000 foot pounds me comfortable. Something tells me theres a big differens so anyone shooting or has shot theese big guns let me know about if they can be handled. and what charges/projectiles

third. would it be possible to make a underhammer 2 bore?
and where can one find the stock and reciever?

if anyone has a basic scenario how to throw this together let me know barrels are available up to 33 inches

thank you this is a great site full of many knowledgeable people

Bruce at:

Blue Grouse Black Powder

specializes in underhammers. His website will give you his contact information. I recommend that you call him. He'll answer yoour questions about twist rate and set you up with an H&A underhammer action. He is a reseller for Deer Creek Products.

The following is a link to an 8-bore he's sellin on Auction Arms. 8-Bore Underhammer

In it, he states that it is a 1:48 twist for shooting big conicals. That should really wallop your shoulder. If, on the other hand, you want to think about shooting Patched Round Balls, which will have less kick. If so, the twist should be considerably slower, somewhere around 1:72 to 1:100.

If you would like to share my experiences in building an underhammer, see my thread in the Builder bench section - Jimbo's Underhammer

Good Luck
Jimbo

Back