• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help choosing my first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vtsmoker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well thanks to some of you (no I really mean that) I need to get my first flinter. :surrender: There is NO WAY I can afford a custom and if that's what I have to do to get a good one, then I'll just have to forget about it. :( The Traditions Penn. rifle has really caught my eye. I'm mostly a week end paper shooter and avid hunter. Also a Revolutionary war reenactor wannabe. Any thoughts on this choice or reccomendations on another choice in the $500-$600 range.

If you have $500-$600 for a rifle now, then save it and wait until you have $1000-$1100 and call someone like TVM.

Okay, not everyone can wait. You just might have to choose something like the Traditions if that is what it takes to get you in to the hobby. Something else to consider; do you have any modern firearms you can sell to help you afford something that is more like what you are looking for? This is what I did for my TVM Virginia. I haven't fired a cartridge in almost 4 years since I got bit by the BP bug.

If you have $500-$600 to spend then you can get a very nice rifle if you go used. Just be a little patient. Look on the classifieds on this and other forums. I have also seen good buys at rendezvous and gun shows. You will be suprised at what might come up. If you do buy a production flintlock I think you would be happier with one made Pedersoli vesus Traditions. Dixie Guns Works made a Tennessee Mountain Rifle several years ago. It is out of production now but you can pick one up for around $400-$500. It's a very good shooter and looks authentic. They were made in Japan by the same folks that make Browning Rifles.

there's a half finished kit in .32 on the classified board 400 bucks shipped

What about a used hatfield rifle? A little closer to original than traditions, decent quality and in your price range

This is just me talkin but I agree with trench. Do yourself a big Favor and save and get something like a tvm early virginia or lancaster. the quality is better but the big plus you can choose every componant and the gun will fit you like a glove. there is nothing wrong with a production gun Ive got several but i just like being able to choose barrel lock trigger wood ect. All it will take is the patience to wait. It will be worth it. good luck to you whatever you decide :thumbsup:

I'm only on my second flintlock, and I've also had several caplocks, but I can tell you first hand, I would try to resist the urge to go cheap. The Traditions I've had were all cappers, and decent guns, but my pal had a flinter and it was a great pain, many discouraging range visits, and he was almost ready to give up, thinking that flintlocks were just too hard to keep shooting. About that time I was ready to get rid of a custom .36 Tennessee that was a bit too long in the stock for me, and he loves it, absolutely loves it.
I think there is nothing like the flash/boom of a flintlock and hope that everyone gets a chance to experience one, I'm only sorry I waited so long before doing it, and I have a neighbor to thank for talking me into trying one. Do yourself a favor and save, borrow, or whatever to get an extra $500 and get you a nice rifle, you won't be sorry.

My suggestion is get the best $300-$400 dollar flintlock you can find. I say this because you may not like flintlocks, I don’t know why but it could happen, and you won’t have a lot of money invested. Plus you won’t have spent a lot of time spent waiting for something that didn’t work out. Lot’s of GPRs or TCs in that price range and they are as good as anybodies rifles. Remember you still have a bunch of stuff to get besides the rifle. All the rest of the factory guns would be second choice for me. Get one and learn to shoot it!

With flintlocks you get exactly what you pay for. You can get by with a cheap cap-gun, but cheap flinters can be way more trouble that you paid for....

Borrow a flinter from friends to learn whether you want one. Save your money until you can afford a good one, as $500-$600 is barely at the very low end of good guns (purchased new). Remember that your don't need to buy a CUSTOM flinter, just a QUALITY flinter....

In 2008 I paid $344/delivered for my Lyman Great Plains Rifle flintlock kit. I have spent my time since then learning about flintlocks, primarily by reading this forum and trying to put its advice into practice. This rifle will go bang every time as long as I do my part. It is accurate. Yesterday I won our club's Fall Black Powder Shoot, beating out other flintlocks AND caplocks.

You can have an enormous amount of fun (starting NOW), and shoot accurately, for under $500. And I agree with Mr. ebiggs, you will need a number of items to go with your new rifle (whether that rifle costs $500 or $1,500) and the last time I looked they weren't giving that stuff away.

I am already making plans to acquire a 'real' longrifle. But, the GPR flintlock has got me into the game for the past two years and I don't regret spending that $344 one bit.

toz said:
In 2008 I paid $344/delivered for my Lyman Great Plains Rifle flintlock kit. I have spent my time since then learning about flintlocks, primarily by reading this forum and trying to put its advice into practice. This rifle will go bang every time as long as I do my part. It is accurate. Yesterday I won our club's Fall Black Powder Shoot, beating out other flintlocks AND caplocks.

You can have an enormous amount of fun (starting NOW), and shoot accurately, for under $500. And I agree with Mr. ebiggs, you will need a number of items to go with your new rifle (whether that rifle costs $500 or $1,500) and the last time I looked they weren't giving that stuff away.

I am already making plans to acquire a 'real' longrifle. But, the GPR flintlock has got me into the game for the past two years and I don't regret spending that $344 one bit.

I won't disagree with you...however he also mentions that he has a Rev-war interest. A Lyman GPR will not cut it....

Ultimately he has a difficult decision to make. Buy a cheap gun that MAY work or wait a bit and buy a proper gun that WILL work (for a little more). Having started out with a Cabelas special cap-gun, I can understand. But even the best Lyman GPR will NEVER come close to the performance of non-mass produced flint gun.

Find yourself a musket (to shamelessly steal from the Patriot). A flint fowler or trade gun will work (if of the proper style) for Pre-Rev and Rev periods.

For that price range your best bet will be a used gun, as for new guns you can find a servicable solid flinter for plinking or hunting but ionce you talk about re-enacting another level called the dreaded PC/HC comes into play which raised the price of poker yet one can still find a used gun that will fit the need it just may take some patience, nearly all forums have a classifed or trade blankets and now and then simple PC/HC late 18th century gun shows up in the $600-700 range there is nothing I can think of in production rifles that is PC/HC for the Rev War period, some may argue this but check out the re-enactor forums for verifaction and you will find the same advise.Do your homework ion the time peruiod the Dixie tenn. rifle and the hatfield are post 1800 guns and most do not place then in the Rev War playing field this is the PC part of the HC/PC equation, you would be looking for a longrifle with a swamped barrel and brass furniture, generic of following one of the schools or builders of the Rev War period, if you wish to compromise on the accuracy historicaly speaking, the choice of how much to "fudge" is yours, many do so to get started, but do take the time to do some research so you can make informed choices and not end up working in the dark from the begining if getting into re-enacting.

Thank you all for your input. I respect all of your experience and knowledge. :bow: I get the "you get what you pay for" thing and don't want something I'll have to fight with to enjoy. I want a good gun and will just have to keep my eyes open for one that will work for me. I can enjoy my cap locks for now and wish I had a friend who had a flinter to try but I don't even have friends who shoot real BP guns. Trying to convert some of them but it's tough to convince them to get rid of their "wannabe" BP guns. Gotta get them to shoot mine to help with that. If I find something I like I'll be asking the experts(you all) what you think before I buy.Thank you again my BP brothers.

If Revolutionary War reenacting is in your future, then as others have said, you need to look for a used gun - probably a smoothbore. No Traditions, Lyman, CVA, T/C, or other rifle that you will find new for anywhere close to $600 will fit the time period. Do you know of any units near you? If so, find out what their members use, and if they are a reputable group, that will tell you what kind(s) of gun you need to look for. Many of these groups have people who have some items to help those just getting started "make muster," and every now and then, someone who is getting out of reenacting for whatever reason sells off his stuff; usually unit members hear about it first.

For all but the earliest days of the War, one of the variations of the 2nd Model Brown Bess would probably fit the bill. Used in good condition, they often run less than $600 for a Japanese or Pedersoli one, and while they will require a bit of tuning, they usually make fun guns to shoot, and they are passable for many units of either the Continental or British army. If there are no units that you plan to join right now, and you "need" a flintlock now with an eye to reenact later, that would be my call.

I am trying to contact Warners Regiment of the Green Mountain Boys here in Vermont. They are close by but contacting the group is only by E-mail. It's taking a while to comunicate this way. I looked at a few Brown Bess models. Found them a bit pricey and I am more interested in a rifleman persona. I have also considered a kit and am open to that option but i've noticed the kits are only a little less expensive than the finished product. Tempurature conditions here now are not condusive to be doing finish woodworking and I have no workshop. Some things mentioned is equipment to go with my new flinter. I am pretty well equiped with my caplocks. Do I need a lot of stuff thats different for flinters? I should also note that I don't have the money in hand to buy a new flinter but could put together my limit in a reasonable amount of time. Buying a preowned rifle requires cash on hand to be able to jump on a good deal.

Back