• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identifying Flintlock Maker Gimbert?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMS3900

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello folks, I was wondering if you could help me identify this rifle/maker.

The friend of mine whom this rifle belongs to believes he purchased it in the late 90’s- early 2000’s in the Delmarva area and was told at the time that it had a pedigree related to Colonial Williamsburg. From my research I don't put much stock in the Williamsburg aspect but who knows if it can be verified.

I am a total noob when it comes to knowing what style of scrollwork, wirework, or patch box is on this rifle. The patchbox opens from a small hole in the butt plate via what I guess is the touch hole pick on the LH side of the stock. I hope someone here on the forum can give me some insight on this rifle, and (if this is the wrong forum to ask this let me know and I can move my thread) a possible range of value for a rifle like this, as I am personally interested in it and I am trying to also determine a fair price.

The name on the barrel is “Gimbert” from what I can tell. Engraved on the bottom side of the barrel is “This Rifle was built for Jim Anderson 1985”. From my research the lock is a Siler, which would be right for 1985. I could not find any distinguishing marks on the stock, on the backside of the lock, or inside the patchbox.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

[spoilerq:1]Pictures In Spoiler: Warning Big Pictures[/spoilerq]
[spoilera:1]

sig1.jpg

JAScript.jpg

RHside.jpg

RHsideC.jpg

LHSide.jpg

LHsideC.jpg

[/spoilera]

Agreed Wattlebuster, which makes me think who ever built the rifle was at minimum a skilled carver/engraver. Which leads me to think that some of his other work must be out there somewhere.

If you right click on the images and go to view images it will let you zoom in a lot closer.

Back