• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What model of Brown Bess is this??

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    81.7 KB
  • IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    221.5 KB
Do you think it was cut? Or maybe a short land body? The butt of the gun just looks funny to me, different from the other India Patterns I’ve seen especially with the tiger stripe wood.

If I am seeing this right, you have a flintlock cock with a percussion bolster, so it's really some kind of mixed up gun. And, the comb on the buttstock looks like it has been rounded. I would be very hesitant to buy it.

If I am seeing this right, you have a flintlock cock with a percussion bolster, so it's really some kind of mixed up gun. And, the comb on the buttstock looks like it has been rounded. I would be very hesitant to buy it.
If anything I would just be getting it for display, was just interested in what specific model it may be. If it’s an Indian Pattern I’ll pass lol.

Indian Pattern does not mean a gun made in India. The 3rd. model Bess is often refereed to as the India pattern.
The problem with the 1970 1st, 2nd & 3rd model designations is that within each “model” the are 2-3 different Patterns of muskets.

Take the old 1st Model designation. In this group there are three long land patterns and two transitional patterns that are all vastly and visually different from one another.

Not really a problem, just a starting point. I didn't think the reply needed a further breakdown as it was only intended to explain that an India pattern Bess wasn't a "made in India reproduction". :)
Yes more advanced students of the Bess knows the India pattern was developed from the commercial East India Company’s musket. A newby would think it would mean a musket intended for use by colonial forces in India. All that confusion could just avoided by calling them a Pattern 1793 or Pattern 1809 for the 2 versions of the 39” barreled muskets.

It just might be a percussion conversion that used a percussion ‘hammer’ in the flint jaws, if so it’d be, at the least, an item of some interest.

Yes more advanced students of the Bess knows the India pattern was developed from the commercial East India Company’s musket. A newby would think it would mean a musket intended for use by colonial forces in India. All that confusion could just avoided by calling them a Pattern 1793 or Pattern 1809 for the 2 versions of the 39” barreled muskets.

I would disagree, as a one time newbie many many years ago I clearly understood the basic differenced between the first, second and third models without knowing details of the various models within each division. Even at that time I knew of the East India Company, India pattern, 3rd. model, etc. and never thought of it as being a musket exclusively for Indian troops. There was no confusion there at least in my mind.

I would disagree, as a one time newbie many many years ago I clearly understood the basic differenced between the first, second and third models without knowing details of the various models within each division. Even at that time I knew of the East India Company, India pattern, 3rd. model, etc. and never thought of it as being a musket exclusively for Indian troops. There was no confusion there at least in my mind.
Yet right there, up thread, there is confusion. Other than barrel length, 1st, 2nd & 3rd model doesn’t clear up much. About as useful as the type A,B,C,D trade gun nonsense. Clear as mud.

Back