• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help IDing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is a no name trade gun of some sort. It could even be a 20th century Belgian gun.

Norinco said:
My guess is a no name trade gun of some sort. It could even be a 20th century Belgian gun.

I agree - cheap gun to being with, and Belgian made -

The intertwined EL is a rarely-seen optional provisional proof, from the Liege Belgiun proof-house, and in use between 1898 and 1924.

The 15.5 stamp is the approximate bore size in millimeters - an undersized 16 gauge.

The U/star might mean that it was made originally for sale in France, and the GC is unknown, but might be an inspector's initials.

The back-action lock style is typically French or Belgian, of that time.

If you bought it, buy also three penny nails, and

1. Insert two in a handy wall about three feet apart, and place the piece on them.

2. AFTER cutting one short and driving it down the nipple so you are not chancing shooting it.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

You have a Belgian trade musket marketed to African tribesmen in the Congo during the colonial period after the turn of the century. These were imported into the US in the late 50s and early 60s by the Stoeger Company (Gun Bible)

Please re-read my post -

'The intertwined EL is a rarely-seen optional provisional proof, from the Liege Belgiun proof-house, and in use between 1898 and 1924...'

Curator means late 1950s and early 1960s.

Stoeger did not exist in the 1850's...

tac

Back