• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP!!! Kibler Fowler??? 🦆🦆🦆

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! :)

I just saw Jim and Katherine’s video about their gorgeous English fowling piece kit and I am literally shaking with adrenaline. I would love to own the 16 bore version of this gun and would be purchasing the walnut stock for historical correctness.

I’m leaning towards the 16 bore size to get the lightest feel I can. I already have a thick-barreled 20 bore trade gun that’s heavier than I’d like (around 8 lbs).

I understand Jim recommends the 20 gauge for round balling but in his video he explained that it is okay to shoot roundballs in the 16 but they may not be as accurate as the 20, and I’m okay with that. I’d also be using the gun for plenty of squirrels and maybe rabbits and turkeys.

I wonder if a gun of this style would have ever seen militia service? If so, how would that have worked? Would the soldier have made his own cartridges based of the bore size of his piece? Or would only guns of a specific bore have been accepted into service to use a standardized factory-produced paper cartridge?

Also, I have no experience with engraving metal but understand the bare sideplate etc. will need some light engraving for historical correctness. How difficult is this to accomplish? I wouldn’t be attempting anything ornate, but would want it to look acceptable.

Thanks so much and take care gang!!

-Smokey

Get what you want -- not what someone else would like you to have. As for engraving if you are not proficient at it send it out to be done the cost is minimal and you will be happy not looking at some "chicken scratch" you wished that you did not do after you did it.

Get what you want -- not what someone else would like you to have. As for engraving if you are not proficient at it send it out to be done the cost is minimal and you will be happy not looking at some "chicken scratch" you wished that you did not do after you did it.
Ask stumpkiller he has a 16 gauge and likes it and I’d go with the 16 also just something about em .id probably only shoot shot out of it any way,.

I got my Kibler fowler with both barrels so I can shoot roundball with the 20 (with appropriate charges) and shot with the 16. Many have great success with turkeys using a 20 gauge so if I wanted one barrel for both I would get the 20.

Look up videos of "hammer and chisel engraving". It is very simple to do and requires hardly any tools. But it takes practice to do it well. So practice until you can get acceptable results before do any engraving on the gun. Paying someone to engrave for you is easy, but you will never get any good at it going that way.

If you watch Jim’s video on how he came to doing the design of the Fowler he is offering he was saying that from just the public everyday guy to the military use they would shoot out of the barrel everything from crushed stones to horseshoe nails and what ever they had. I think it just comes down to personal choice , I would like to get one in 20 gauge just for the stability of a thicker barrel in case I want to run a patch ball. It is a nice clean looking fowling piece either in 16 or 20 anyone would be happy to own for sure.

Hello! :)

I just saw Jim and Katherine’s video about their gorgeous English fowling piece kit and I am literally shaking with adrenaline. I would love to own the 16 bore version of this gun and would be purchasing the walnut stock for historical correctness.

I’m leaning towards the 16 bore size to get the lightest feel I can. I already have a thick-barreled 20 bore trade gun that’s heavier than I’d like (around 8 lbs).

I understand Jim recommends the 20 gauge for round balling but in his video he explained that it is okay to shoot roundballs in the 16 but they may not be as accurate as the 20, and I’m okay with that. I’d also be using the gun for plenty of squirrels and maybe rabbits and turkeys.

I wonder if a gun of this style would have ever seen militia service? If so, how would that have worked? Would the soldier have made his own cartridges based of the bore size of his piece? Or would only guns of a specific bore have been accepted into service to use a standardized factory-produced paper cartridge?

Also, I have no experience with engraving metal but understand the bare sideplate etc. will need some light engraving for historical correctness. How difficult is this to accomplish? I wouldn’t be attempting anything ornate, but would want it to look acceptable.

Thanks so much and take care gang!!

-Smokey
It’s a side plate, if you don’t like the engraving buy another plate. Great place to experiment.

Back