• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Me Spend My $$$$.$$

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Help me out here. I want a simple trade rifle or Hawken style .50 or .54 cal. percussion rifle. I am interested in a custom job from a reputable smith. October Country and Pedersoli are nice options, but I'm looking for the next level here.

I found a picture on Track of The Wolf of a rifle that I like:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...catId=12&subId=83&styleId=290&partNum=AAJ-298

It says that its an H.E. Dimick pattern made by Gary White. How do I know if Mr. White did a good job? Can someone post some links to websites of some reputable guys?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should listen to swampy. What little I have seen of Don Stith's work has been excellent....................watch yer top knot.................

Clay Smith makes a nice trade rifle at a reasonable price. It is a full stock though.

This is Dr. Gary White, who developed and owned the old Green River Rifle Works in Roosevelt, Utah. I asked him a few years ago how many rifles he had built (he builds about 20 at a time according to his son, also a medical doctor). Gary told me "Oh, a couple thousand". Meaning in his shop, not the old GRRW or later White Rifles. You can entirely depend on this rifle.

i don't think you can find a better builder than Don Stith to build a "hawken" style rifle that matches the originals. His website is an education in itself.

Your question has been adequately answered by the 4 men who have responded, because you asked about a specific Kind of Rifle.

There are lots of builders around the country, including members of this forum, who can build you a gun. But, whether they are willing, or able to build a gun to your standard is something else. A lot of builders have drifted away from making "Hawkens" rifles simply because they are more interested in other period guns, as are their customers. A lot of potential customers balk at paying 3-7 times as much as it would cost them to buy a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, just to have an authentic copy of an original Hawkens, that won't shoot any better than the less expensive guns.

If you are looking to buy one that is already made look at The Gun Works site. He always has a good list with a wide varity of guns. Hope you find what you want. The last rifle I baught took me a year to find. When I saw it I knew that it had to be mine. Shoot it all of the time now. Worth every dime that I paid to get it. Be sure before you make the purchase.

Back