• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowdog1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawken that has a sabot stuck in barrel. The gun was found on private land in summer posted up against a tree. Is a grease fitting and grease good to push sabot out? Not sure how long it sat, so don’t know how nasty it is in powder. Barrel looks good otherwise.

Is a grease fitting and grease good to push sabot out?

Good place to start, or could try using an air compressor to blow it out.

Would remove the nipple and soak the bottom 6 inches of the barrel in a bucket of water for a few hours to make sure the powder is rendered inactive before working on getting the stuck sabot out. And yes pour a penetrating oil down the barrel and let sit overnight. So you got a free gun?

Would remove the nipple and soak the bottom 6 inches of the barrel in a bucket of water for a few hours to make sure the powder is rendered inactive before working on getting the stuck sabot out. And yes pour a penetrating oil down the barrel and let sit overnight. So you got a free gun?
Yes....it’s in great condition otherwise!

Make up a 50/50 acetone and atf mixture in a bottle. Shake like crazy then pour down the barrel let it sit for a few hours then try the compressed air again with the nipple removed.

Going to need lubrication of some type. No real need to get in a hurry. Diesel will penetrate better than most liquids. When they hunt leaks, they spray it with diesel, they call a diesel test.

Probably going to find a rust ring when you get it out.

Lesson learned by someone for using those plastic things!!! ;)🤣 They probably had it stuck and said to heck with it! Lucky break for you Yellowdog. :thumb: Good luck in the removal. I think several good ideas have been posted to help you out. Just think safety first.

Alternately, before rendering any powder in there inert, you could go to a range and see if the load will shoot out.

If nervous about that, tie the rifle to a spare tire & pull the trigger with a long string.

Also the plastic sabot could be melted enough to get soft enough to remove (pull it out or use air gun) if treated with a chemical that dissolves plastic, or direct heat (after the powder is rendered inert, of course)

Should have asked where the load is in the barrel. Is the load at the breech? Is the load not seated at the breech? I'm not changing my advice but I'm curious about the conditions in the barrel. Since we don't know anything about the load, it is not advisable to try to shoot the load out.

Latest posts

Back