• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about decaying houses in the woods, here's snippet of information for your Christmas 'Trivia' party game.

When the old settlers came to the US and Canada from Old Europe, they often brought with them a reminder of their home in the form of roses and similar beautifying plants, to put in their new home backyard.

Sadly, as we all know, many a dream came to nothing in the vast expanse of the West, but that roses didn't know that, and they continued to flourish, untended, where one they had been loved. The houses and the hopes within them may have gone, but the beauty of the roses remains.

In this way, a great many of the rose varieties that are no longer with us, for one reason or another, here in the rest of the world, have survived and flourished in North America - in particular on the West coast, where the largest collection of roses in the world flourish in Portland's international rose garden, to the delight of hundreds of thousands of visitors a year.

1607782704171.png

We never fail to go there, and it never palls on me to see such beauty brought back to its place in the world.

Worth a visit?

10/10.

A friend of mine found a rifle up against a tree when she was mushroom hunting. A beautiful Kimber with a Leopold scope.It was loaded and there was no hunting season going on. Had just a hint of flash rust on it,don't think it was there over a week. Nobody ever came forward looking for it.

I have a T/C Hawken that has a sabot stuck in barrel. The gun was found on private land in summer posted up against a tree. Is a grease fitting and grease good to push sabot out? Not sure how long it sat, so don’t know how nasty it is in powder. Barrel looks good otherwise.
Use a CO2 discharger or compressed air. Put som penetrant down the muzzle and leave it sit for a day or two, then blow the critter out with air.
Air extractor5.JPG

Attachments

• Extractor in use..JPG
    Extractor in use..JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 144
If you have a Range Rod put a ball puller jag on it. Screw it into the projectile, turn the barrel up side down, put your feet over the handle of the Range Rod, grab the barrel tightly with your hands and pull upward. Having a well lubed barrel with WD40, penetrating oil, or something else will help once it starts moving, You can also jerk on the barrel to try and break it free, to start it moving, if needed doing it this way. As mentioned soak the breach end of the barrel in water for an hour or so to neutralize any powder. This is the easiest way I know to pull a patched ball, it should work with you have to deal with. No vise needed. If needed and you have someone else available they can grab the barrel to help pull.

Guess it's not that then, but you still have choices. Not knowing your capabilities, or what load is in the gun I would probably go the grease gun route to remove it. Replace the nipple with the proper sized grease zerk and start pumping. I'd remove the barrel from the stock first.

A little acetone down the barrel will soften the sabot/ acetone eats plastic. that might alow you to pull the whole works or it might just release the bullet. Be careful not to get the acetone on anything else.

Removing the breech requires special tools and knowledge to prevent damage.

Firing it to remove it is too risky IMO.
I thought so too. I have barrel pulled and plug out. Getting a grease zero next time I go to town.

Reading it again, it appears he means the nipple. He mentions getting a grease "zero", which I assume is a mistyping of zerk.

I like to confirm things, especially with newbies, and people using smartphones with autocorrect.

I'd also mention to be sure you get the proper thread size and take extra care not to cross thread it, which can be very easy to do on a muzzleloader.

Anyone else notice there have been a few new members posting some strange stories recently? They are new, post in the early morning hours, stories make little sense, and sometimes dont answer for days to replies. A few other threads by another poster have been deleted after they went so far out of whack. Some of the statements by this OP make me think it’s BS from the first question.

Anyone else notice there have been a few new members posting some strange stories recently? They are new, post in the early morning hours, stories make little sense, and sometimes dont answer for days to replies. A few other threads by another poster have been deleted after they went so far out of whack. Some of the statements by this OP make me think it’s BS from the first question.

Happens a lot actually, some could be bots, others could be crazy old men, but many are people from other countries who either don't speak English that fluently or use a translator.
Text translation doesn't always work that well with some languages. So, what they write seems perfectly normal to them but reads weird to us.

If you have a Range Rod put a ball puller jag on it. Screw it into the projectile, turn the barrel up side down, put your feet over the handle of the Range Rod, grab the barrel tightly with your hands and pull upward. Having a well lubed barrel with WD40, penetrating oil, or something else will help once it starts moving, You can also jerk on the barrel to try and break it free, to start it moving, if needed doing it this way. As mentioned soak the breach end of the barrel in water for an hour or so to neutralize any powder. This is the easiest way I know to pull a patched ball, it should work with you have to deal with. No vise needed. If needed and you have someone else available they can grab the barrel to help pull.
I have done the same thing, but being alone at the range I put the tee handle in between the Y crotch of a small tree and a steady pull, don't hard jerk it. and it WILL COME OR BLEAD! as the saying goes!

Re languages - there is a HUGE problem in translating even German into English or vice-versa when it comes to guns [I do a lot of if for train stuff, too]. The description in adverts can be dire, to say the least.

German 'piston' = 'nipple', not 'piston'.

German 'lauf' means 'run', as in 'ski-lauf' AND 'gun barrel'.

German 'zug' means 'train', as in 'schnellzug' - express train, also a section of infantry soldiers, and, as 'zugung', also means 'rifling'.

German 'flinte' means a shotgun, not a flint, but it is obviously derived from the same original word. But flintlock is 'a stone lock'.

The list is almost endless.

In late 1980's took a trip down the Natchez Trace to Natchez , Miss. to order a shot pouch from a shop in Natchez. In the guy's shop for sale was a lightly pitted trigger guard and butt plate from a m/l rifle . The brass parts were purportedly found at a stream bed crossing on the N. Trace in a gravel bar. The parts are of a late Lancaster /N. or S. Carolina type. Good thing is , they will be good enough to repurpose . The plan is to use the parts on a stock design found in Preston County , W.Va..The butt plate should fit well on this W.Va. stock. Have done a few rifles w/ original repurposed parts. The fun of this kind of work , is imagining what the history was of the parts , how did the rifle end up in a stream bed at a wagon crossing on the historic N. Trace??..............oldwood

Yes, the bear attack/round balls suck guy comes to mind but yeah there's been several that make no sense and they usually never reply to anything.

Latest posts

Back