• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP! Removing a stuck ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knapper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 54 Cal. Lyman Flintlock GPR. I was an idiot and started a ball without loading a charge. I don't have a ball puller YET! I was thinking about sticking the barrel in my vise and unscrewing the breechplug. Will that create problems for me? Has anyone tried removing the vent liner and using compressed air? Can I remove the vent liner and load it through the hole-the ball is not seated. Other suggestions?

Knapper :redface:

It's not going to hurt anthing by leaving it in till you get a ball puller. Just order one and it will be at your house by the end of the week. I wouldn't pull the breechplug, it's easy to screw back in but that should be your last resort.

SP

no need to remove the liner. Just fill the pan with 4f, poke it all through the touch hole with a vent pick. Do this about 10 times and then run the ball all the way down. This will be plenty of powder to expel a ball. However, aim at the ground 15 feet or so away so you can be assured the it came out.

Knapper,

Here is how I was taught, to do the same thing Cody Mentioned.. It works a bit faster than picking the powder into the hole.

holding the gun horizontal, muzzle downrange..turn it so the touch hole is facing straight up! balance the weight of the gun in one hand( just ahead of the lock on the forearm ).. Pour a pile of 4f powder on top on the liner/touch hole. With the free hand, bump the butt of the stock rapidly to shake powder into the touch hole.( kind of a firm hammering action, with your fist) You'd be surprised how fast the powder vibrates into the opening! Keep piling up powder and shaking it in, until it will take no more.. Prime and fire the weapon, aiming about 20' out! Sometimes, one try is all it takes!

If not, put the ramrod down, and see if the ball moved.. "If it has".. start adding powder in again.. get a good pile worked in, trying to get as much in there as possible! The, reseat the ball!! <I'll say it again>.. "Reseat the ball!!" Prime and fire the gun..

So far it has worked for me.. Normally I shoot my Muley, but a friend decided I should try his flinter. Neither of us imagined, the lesson would include "How to clear a dry ball! " :eek:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

I have a 54 Cal. Lyman Flintlock GPR. I was an idiot and started a ball without loading a charge. I don't have a ball puller YET! I was thinking about sticking the barrel in my vise and unscrewing the breechplug. Will that create problems for me? Has anyone tried removing the vent liner and using compressed air? Can I remove the vent liner and load it through the hole-the ball is not seated. Other suggestions?

Knapper :redface:

If you have access to an air compressor, you're home free...like you said, pull the vent and blow it out.

Buying an air compressor was the best investment I ever made

Yes compressed air will do it.
Also I would get a co2 ball discharger for range and hunting.
:imo:

Metalshaper is on the money :agree: I,m sure the co2 works but I got enough junk I take to the range (always expermintn ya know) and I darn sure try to keep my possibles bag simple. This system has never failed me. Also if ya pay attention to your ramrod mark it will save you an embarassing klack on the firing line and head shakes from your buddys :redface:

I agree with Tlukes, the co2 ball discharger is the way to
go! Not only is it great for removing stuck balls but for
clearing the charge at the end of the days hunting. If you
clear your rifle this way the clean-up is a breeze. I maybe over cautious, but I don't like riding around with a
loaded rifle in the truck, it may be near inpossible but accidents do happen.

Thanks for all the advice. I was able to unscrew the vent liner and load the gun, then shoot the ball out. I am going to invest in a CO2 gizmo.

Thanks again,

Knapper :)

i know it makes you feel like an idiot every time it happens , but every one who is involved in this sport ,young or old ,has loaded a dry ball at least once.
at a club shoot two months ago i dropped a ball down the barrel with no patch luckyly all i had to do was dump and reload . this sunday it was sooooo humid i had to constantly wipe my pan and flint to get the gun to fire .i dont even want to mention how badly i shot 35out of a possible 200 :curse: :redface:

With a GPR & rifles with a removable vent, you went the best route. Quick, easy, save & a one time deal & it is out. As for the discharger ? I know some people that need one every time they go to the range, others would use it once or twice in a lifetime... just depends on the individual... I have never thought I needed one, plus if I had it when I needed it the cartridge would be empty or someone would have used it & not told me.... ha ha !

I've had (and used) the dischargers for about 10 years. They work great on caplocks, not so great on flintlocks as the ball, absent powder, gets rammed down to where it blocks the touch hole, and the "nozzle" for the CO2...I've been able to remove the ventliner and wiggle the ball forward enough to get powder behind it. With a "patent breech" flintlock there is usually enough space behind the ball to use the CO2. I haven't done all of this dry loading by myself, the club I belong to contributes some. One last thought..I made the mistake of leaving a discharger on the loading bench in direct sunlight one summer...it exploded as the sun heated up the CO2...Hank

Yup , sometimes you gotta pull your balls . :eek: :: I've done it twice . Your next step will be , shooting your ramrod , I,ve done that once . :: I now have a CO2 discharger , hope I never have to use it , but it's there if I need it (in addition to my ball puller) . If you use a ball puller , don't give up too easy , the ball should come out , eventualy . :results: Good luck , and don't get discouraged with muzzle loading , the more you do it , the funer it gets . :imo: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back