• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help, what`s it called.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
For the life of me I can`t remember what they call those wood vice like thing you sit on and put a piece of wood in the jaws so you can draw knife the work down. Ya put your feet on the bottom part and that holds the jaws shut tight, I want to make one but i can`t find the plans.
Thanks

There`s a pic of one lower center of this picture of the woodwright shop.

woodwright shop

Lenn, Happy Birthday ya ol coot! :rotf:

Here are another set of plans for a shaving horse... Poke Here!

This is for a traditional English shaving horse. The other type horse seams to hold wood better though...IMO

A rounded arc on the face of the Dumbhead, and a wider face is what makes it possible to hold various sizes of wood stock " better". The head on this English model does not have enough wood, nor does it have a rounded face. That chisel face is always going to give problems used as a vise jaw.

Shaving horse, I knew horse was in there somewhere :haha: Thanks guys for the name and links, now that i know what it`s called i can do some searching also. :thumbsup:
Old coot is right :blah: :haha:

Lenn, that is a shaving horse as stated. Several years ago I taped the Woodwright's Shop program on building the shaving horse. I don't know if you can still order that program or not and 98% of our stuff is still in storage following extensive water damage in our house, so I can't access it. I just did a Google for shaving horse and this the first one I looked at: http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm
Here is another set of plans with the solid head: http://countryworkshops.org/Shaving Horse Plans.html
Hope this helps. Emery

Last edited by a moderator:
DEATH WIND said:
I CAN'T RESIST!
Is this not a "SCHNITZELBANK?"

:rotf:

Not a lot of people know that! :shocked2:

Even the Amish guys around here. :haha:

The kind with a frame type clamp is a old Brit style. The block head style is the only style I have seen in the U.S. A 6 or 7 inch oak log is about right.

If you don't have a large/wide enough piece of wood to make into that clamp, you can always glue/peg/bolt several pieces together on each side of your main foot beam to create that head. It's nice to make it out of one piece of wood, but not really necessary.

The woodwright's books also show making one. And so do the Foxfire books.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I`m just at that point, first board broke in have driving it over the pinion. I have a half inch chunk of steel that`s just the right size, i`ll plasma a hole through it and put that on there.
Should have pics late morning of finished horse, bed time.

Found an oak board for the clamp, not as wide as i wanted but will do for now.

shavehorse.jpg

shavehorseleft2.jpg

shavehorseleftrear.jpg

well thats nice Pitchy, good job..but gees,buildin cabins, tree plantin, day care fer baby birds, hawk heads from ball bean hammers,breakin hawk handles so you can wire and leather wrap them after ya carved 'em an burnt hearts in them, throwin knives wrapped in leather, knives cut from saws w/ burl handles.. :grin: (my favorite! :grin: ) now this.. :shake: :shake: we just gotta get you a hobby! :rotf: good job! :bow:

Had to get some draw knives for my new horse, first pic is a new Dixie i bought at the local hardware. The next large one is a Greenlee and the small one has no name, bought them at antique shops.

drawknife.jpg

workinhorse.jpg

drawknives.jpg

and the small one has no name,
I was always partiallike to Elmer! feel free to use it! :haha: okay seriously... Lookin real good there Pitchy! have we got a plan what to build yet? this looks pretty neat!! can't wait ta see..and THANKS again fer the patchknife!! it are cool!!! :thumbsup:

Glad the knife got there and that you like it. :thumbsup:
If and when I make a hawk i`m going to try and make the handle on the horse and was thinking about making a walking stick on it also.

Back