• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with info on a Springfield M1816

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRYPOD1911

32 Cal
Reaction score
The only Info I received with the gun:
-It should be a m1816. Originally a flintlock
-The percussion cap alterations is what I believe to be a SC Robertson professional operation done in Richmond Virginia for the Confederate army.

-Barrel was cut down at some point. by an arsenal when converted or a later DIY

- I have no idea what an approximate value might be. (Not selling just curious)

Any info,opinions or direction greatly appreciated.

urttnKG.jpg

Y9kK00u.jpg

sw8xHrG.jpg

9QlJYZe.jpg

Smm4dkx.jpg

NnPRWDu.jpg

85FUQeC.jpg

N75rtTi.jpg

H5ZlRN8.jpg

T7F3lmY.jpg

0yDN3FJ.jpg

Sporterized musket. Probably altered to percussion sometime between 1849-1861. Altered further in the late 19th c and since. Very common to find these sporterized and highly altered.

Thanks. Any idea on the manufacturer?
It's from Brooke Evans' contract. Evans contracted for 10,000 M1816 type I muskets in 1821. Technically they were assigned to him from John Rodgers' defunct contract. 8,230 of them were listed in storage in the Virginia Adjutant-General's report on the State's arms. As such, it is quite common to find them with bonified Confederate percussion alterations. I concur with the SC Robinson attribution.

Since it is a cut down it doesn't have a whole lot of value. But you could probably get $500 out of it as a representative of Robinson's work.

Back