• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

History, stories , folklore & tales

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don`t know if any type of hc but the story was prettygood as was the cast.
Not too bad a good way to seprn a littlr time.

Blitz
Yeah, those older b movies are pretty good at passing time, I like ‘em. One thing I like is how insp has those new into the wild frontier series episodes , reminds me of those b movies but full of history.

Screenshot_2024-06-22-21-30-07-826.jpg

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/0...man-jim-bakers-sword-found-donated-to-museum/

Watching an entertaining old movie right now with Robert Taylor called Many Rivers to Cross. Kentucky mountain man type stuff, semi comedy, got a good shootin match driving nails, a humdinger knock down drag out with Taylor and Alan Hale Jr,, ( Gilligan's Island ), going to finish it up here in a few minutes.

Has anyone read The Long Rifle by Stewart Edward White? Printed in 1932. Reading it now, been kicking around here for years, so far a very good read.

Going to look for Sacred Ground. Its interesting that Tim McIntire is starring in it. He collaborated on the excellent sound track to Jeremiah Johnson!
I watched this movie over the last couple of days, found a VHS copy on ebay. Sort of a Jeremiah Johnson wannabe, but quite a watchable, enjoyable movie.
Great scenery filmed in Oregon.
I did note that the "Hawken" rifle he carried appeared to be a T/C Seneca all tacked up with geegaw, by its size, apparent light weight and the distinctive Seneca cheekpiece.

Thanks for the input , I have always been curious as to wether mtn men , long hunters trappers or others had carried swords along with other armament .
I have never seen mention of such but always thought that if me , I would have done so.
of course a tomahawk would be good but stabing and slashing better.
Does any one have ahistorical input ?

Blitz
Have occasionally found some mention of what is called a short sword that was often carried to compliment a muzzleloader,

Likely where the people who started making what became known as the toothpick got their idea from.

All of the equipment that those folks used back in the days of black powder has always fascinated me. It's so difficult to find anybody that knows anything about it an has an interest in it or wants to talk about it I really do appreciate some of the folks contributin to my conversation here.

One of us could start a thread discussing swords here but then i would get a bunch of hate mail and ugly messages again because we're not sticking to talking muzzleloaders or constantly declaring that donald trump is going to save America for us.

Is this a fully veted story with more than one detractor ?
we al know history is not necessarily exactly what is writtrn , but this sounds a bit like u-tube stuff.
Just sayin - keep your eyes open and the mind also.

Blitz
No it wasn't on YouTube, this was something I read I think it was in an old west or true West magazine from the '60s .

It kind of reminded me of how wild Bill Hickok got so famous because of newspaper reporter happened to start talking to him and did a story on him, and whether any of it was true or not it became history

Search for the stash of equipment and firearms as well as uniforms and other things taken from the 7th cavalry and buried somewhere in a cave.

That would be quite an interesting find all of the equipment uniforms and other things taken off of the 7th Calvary at the Little bighorn

Last edited:
Back