• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hock shop flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id replace that flint with a good english flint and you can get a new frizen on ebay for about 16 dollars . Also avoid touching the surface of the frizen or getting oil on it.

Recieved a new lock from Thompsons today. I can't believe it! What a great company and also the warranty can't be beat. Not only did they replace the lock, it came with a new flint and leather. Thanks to all who steered me in the right direction! The new lock fits a bit different. took a bit of wood off here and there and now fits good. The only thing is the flash hole (slotted screw in type), won't let the lock snug up to the barrel. Do you file the flash pan or the slotted flash hole? Only needs a small 1/4 circle to get it to snug up. I have tried to remove the flash hole, but the slot was buggered up. Any advise here? Thanks, Mac.

It looks like the flint is not square to the face of the frizzen. The flint must be square on, scrapping all across the face, and hit as high as possible on the frizzen, and as long as possible on the face- this creates a long shower of sparks.

swordman said:
Also avoid touching the surface of the frizen or getting oil on it.

Not so....... I have put a rust inhibitor/oil on the Entire lock assemblies for years & have never one time had an issue or problem from it. You just take a dab of alcohol on a rag & wipe off the face of the frizzen before ya go shoot it, if it is a so-so lock. If it is a good lock & good flint, just wipe it off with a clean rag & go shoot it, it will spark...... :wink:

Well I shined up the pan last night and have it snugged up tight to the barrel. Weather permiting will give it a trial this weekend. Clicked it off a few times in the dark and am getting some nice yellowish, orange sparks right in the pan. Thanks for the help. Mac.

Swedepie said:
Recieved a new lock from Thompsons today. I can't believe it! What a great company and also the warranty can't be beat. Not only did they replace the lock, it came with a new flint and leather. Thanks to all who steered me in the right direction! The new lock fits a bit different. took a bit of wood off here and there and now fits good. The only thing is the flash hole (slotted screw in type), won't let the lock snug up to the barrel. Do you file the flash pan or the slotted flash hole? Only needs a small 1/4 circle to get it to snug up. I have tried to remove the flash hole, but the slot was buggered up. Any advise here? Thanks, Mac.
Drill it out a little larger and use and "easy-out"

I filed the flash hole liner flat with the barrel. This let the pan snug up to the side of the barrel. I figured if it won't shoot like this, then take the easy out and go that route. Well thanks to all of the good advise on this forum, the hock shop flint lock is back in service. I put some 4f in the pan and set it off a couple of times. Then I put 50 gr. in the tube a patch and tamp a little. Torched it off, Wow what a rush. Partly cause I didn't have to pull another ball and all the smoke and noise was downright exciting. Then I loaded up 60 gr. with patch and ball and fired it at my target out back. The lock is working good. I'm amazed how fast the flint lock is. Shot it about a doz times and then I realized I'm addicted. I got to wonderin if this factory production flinter shoots this fast, what would a Siler or Chambers, or any custom rifle be like? Only time will tell. Thanks all for the help. Mac.

Glad to here it's working for you Swedepie. Ir wasn't clear to me after you put 4fg powder in the pan if you put the same down the barrel. If that's what you did...DON'T. :nono: :nono: :nono:

4f should only be used for priming, never in the barrel. It throws a huge quick spike of pressure which can damage your gun and possibly you. 2fg or 3fg are fine. Just don't use 4fg for anything but priming the pan.

Great to hear that you've got it working though! :grin:

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

No I wouldn't do that. Just in the pan with 4f. Using 3f in the tube and trying to find the sweet spot 60 to 90 gr. patch etc. Shot 40 balls thru it yesterday and only had 2 pans flash without ignition. My son and I had a great afternoon with the flinter and capper. What loads do you find work best for you? Mac.

Back