• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home made barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyle: I would think that today, with all the diagnostic equipment found in the better machine shops, it would be even easier to inspect a hand forged barrel and be assure that the welds are done correctly. I don't know how much these devises are used in the trade, but I bet Chris knows something about it.

My second thought is that while barrels were made from wrought iron back 200 years ago, the quality of the wrought iron could not be as controlled as it is today, and certainly no where near as controlled as the various alloyed steels now made. Hidden defects in wrought iron would be expected. Yet, the gunmakers of the day were able to make so many barrels that did not blow up, sooner or later. I think the barrel makers then, as now, are some very well-trained, and very careful craftsmen and women.

Now, if someone thinks he is going to teach himself barrel-making, and make his own gunbarrel in his back yard, without any risk of screwing it up, and risking his own safety, they are being foolish. With that idea, I agree. It really depends on what kind of training the person has received and how they have tested their skills before beginning to make that barrel, NO?

Well, I knew it would seem like I was trying to discount tradition and what some people know of the past. I really do applaud those who make and use a hand forged barrel. I am just trying to show the other side of the coin. I have seen 6 or 7 barrels that have failed (split or blown out) between the breech and the back sight, and every one of them were hand forged, 2 of those destroyed everything behind the lock cavity. Now, I did not witness the failure, and I have to go by what I was told, but it was obvious from the remaining material that the failure originated from the welded seam.
I can not argue the historical records, as to the quality of barrels made in the past. I forget who said it "History is written by the victors", just as today, military leaders do not like to report deaths and injuries from poor training,faulty equipment or carelessness, it makes them look like the are not good leaders.
Yes, with todays technology, it is possible to detect faults in metallurgy and welds. But not too many people have access to such tools. I do know that this type of inspection is very costly. (I worked as a machinist for 20 years and I still work in the manufacturing industry).

So I bow :hatsoff: to the knowledge of those more experienced than myself. :surrender: I'm just not trusting my life to it, if I don't have to. :thumbsup:

Lyle

Harper's Ferry Armory and the New Technology, by Merritt Roe Smith, notes that loss in proof of gun barrels welded by triphammers at Springfield averaged about 10%, between 1815 and 1830. About 25% of hand forged barrels at Harper's Ferry burst in proof. The old-timers forged wrought iron barrels because that was all they had. Doing so shows wondrous skill, but the result is best left hanging on the wall.
I just ordered a new chrome-moly steel barrel to replace my old 12L14 barrel. Haven't shot it since I analyzed a chunk & learned what the maker meant by "manganese steel". That free-machining steel has almost no measurable toughness, and little ductility across the grain. There is a very good reason why one major manufacturer of such ceased to sell them in the mid-1980's.

Back