• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoosier Tom down ! (Photo added)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Woke up to a downpour this morning on this second day of turkey season. What's a guy to do?............Grab that muzzleloader and head out to find a Tom!

The rain quit a half hour after sunup and the birds finally hit the ground. I was on the edge of a cornfield and had 4 jakes visit my dummies on the edge a couple hours after sunup. I heard deep throated gobbles to my right but my vision was obscured and couldn't see the longbeards. The jakes went that way after losing interest and I called with soft clucks and purrs...the jakes ran back to the dekes.

Fast forward through 2 more similar episodes......upon the jakes departure this time, I cut and yelped hard enough to get the only hen in the field to come my way.

She had two longbeards in tow. This is where it gets fun (for us guys who limit our shots to twenty steps or less with our unchoked black powder guns). For 20 minutes I watched as the two gobblers slowly strutted within 35 yards, but, outside of that 20 yard mark. Finally they were within my range and I cut loose in the lifting fog. It turns out it was a twenty yard shot exactly and the bird folded up quite nicely.

23# 5oz.
10 3/4" beard
31 millimeter spurs (no, I don't know the inches :haha: )

T/C New Englander
12 gauge with cylinder bore
80 grains Goex 2f
Hard card
50 "grains" jiffy mix
120 "grains" #6 shot
Thin overshot card
Bore lubed with mink oil

I hope to get a picture on here when I can. I unfortunately would need help though. :surrender: If any of you can help, I should be able to email a photo later on.

it's about an inch and three sixteenths (31 mm)

congratulations on your good harvest.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blackpowder turkey has to be one of the best trophies a guy could hope for. A lifetime memory and a great story.

Awesome Skychief...Just got home... burnt a pound of powder today... Enjoy...

Skychief had me post this picture it's a Great one!

000_0132.jpg

Thanks flintlock58! I have been told we have more than plenty turkey tails on the walls :shake: . So, I will make a nice fan for an 8 year old neighbor boy that loves to small game hunt but hasn't tackled turkey yet. I have started a habit of cutting the leg bones with the spurs attached. I clean up these inch or so segments and string them on a piece of sinew. Some day I will have a BP turkey spur necklace to be proud of. Must be the redneck in me. I saved his beard...not sure what will become of it. :idunno:

Skychief said:
Thanks makeumsmoke for posting my picture! I hope you bring one twice as big to your oven with your flint New Englander! Sincere thanks again, Skychief. :bow:

Your Welcome Einstein! :rotf:

Skychief--tie up that beard and hang it from the ram rod pipe of your New Englander..Looks kind cool!

Thanks for the encouraging words!..would prefer a 13-15 pound bird..Love those strips of turkey pan fryed in Olive oil and butter!(no breading)Served with some wild rice and a form of fermented beverage! :bow:

SkyChief..love pulling your chain.. :grin:

I down load pic's from the camera to the computer..trim and size..then go to the folder that they are sent too..then e-mail them to my photobucket account .then copy and paste them here on the forum...had some help from" Ye-Olde Battle Axe" the first time( she's the brains of the outfit!) :rotf: My two collage son's think I'm a train wreck on the computer..Thank God for spell Check..Now when will they come out with grammar check?..

Just love hunting stories and pictures ..Thanks for sharing....dan

Latest posts

Back