• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hornady lead round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering if the Hornady lead round ball is a soft lead.

thank's

That is all I use, actually all I can get locally, I can scratch them easily with a fingernail seems to be pretty soft and works well.....hope this helps

26th Pa. Vol. said:
Was wondering if the Hornady lead round ball is a soft lead.

thank's
Agree that yes they are...and Hornadys have always been my first choice.
Speer is the other industry leader of swaged lead balls but are usually a buck or two/100 more than Hornady's...both are premium swaged soft lead balls that have been outstanding on deer for me

Nice, and I looked at some in .530 the other night because I can't find a mould. But for almost $20 for a box of 100 balls, I will keep hunting for the mould and cast some in .527 to play with....

As an alternative, heres a good 'cast ball' source with the best prices...he doesn't have a website...makes balls for places like Dixie, periodically sets up and sells at Friendship, etc.
I've bought a few thousand .395's and .600's from him...going to be ordering some .570"s soon.

Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225
“Best Quality Round Balls, Minnie, Rifle Bullets and Modern Cast Bullets”
Please Call or Write to place Order

I weighed a handful of Hornady & Speer to see which had a greater variation in weight. Needless to say I'll be sticking with Hornady :thumbsup:

Those that are made specificaly for muzzleloading balls are made of a soft lead. However, if you have a small bore rifle and are shooting buckshot, it is a hard lead. I used to have a .32 cal, rifle and all I shot in it was the Buckshot. If I remember correctly, it was the 0 size buckshot that I used. It measured .32 inches in diameter and worked quite well with a .012 patch lubricated with bore butter.

Pretty good deal on shipping too from Eddie May. You can get up to 70# of balls in a USPS flat rate box for about $12. shipped. I bought 6000 balls from him last year & it cost me $ 24. shipping total for the 2 boxes. :thumbsup:

To be honest, the Hornady balls have just gone way too high for me. I used to shoot allot of them but now I don't. Also most venders will not do the flat rate boxes, they charge a arm & both legs to ship balls now....... :shake:

Amen...and my thanks to you again Birddog6, for putting me onto Eddie May a few years ago

Recently received an order from him. The price is right but a few quality control issues with the 1000 balls I ordered. About 1/2 appear to be cast from wheel weights. Haven't shot them yet, don't anticipate any problems. Probably saved an average of $5.00/100 over Hornady retail on the sizes I ordered.

Just curious, did you call him back and ask / verify?

I'll make a point of asking / specifying 100% soft lead right up front when I order my .58cals

As to the original question....

Hornady claims their balls are swaged from pure lead. You can't get any softer than pure lead.

I got lucky and bought 10 boxes of Hornady .58s at very good price and don't see ever having to buy any more in the near future. I do know one thing, I have yet to have a deer complain just how hard the lead is. :grin:

The best thing about Speer is those spiffy yellow plastic boxes they come in. I've got all sorts of uses for those, while the Hornady boxes don't last well in prolonged use. As for actually shooting those little lead spheres, Hornady is my second choice behind home cast.

I got a 1000 .490's from him about a month ago for $81 to my front door, .530's should be in the ballpark of about $90.

Eddie May is the man for balls.

Latest posts

Back