• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hornady or speer roundballs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkid

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Our local sporting goods caries both, same price. Which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks

Hornady is all I've ever seen locally, so when I buy I buy those. It's actually become hard to find round balls anymore. Last time I was in the semi-original Dick's they had one box of 25 .490"s and no .530" at all (and no #11 percussion caps). :-( I rely on home-cast now. More satisfying and as accurate if you weigh and sort or reject each ball

I have shot them both, in my 50cal. Lyman GPR, I couldn't tell the difference. I would buy the ones that are on sale. :grin:

I work part time at a Dicks here in New York.

We have abut 10 boxes of .490 Hornady round balls and some cheap patches. Bit of a drive I expect.

Point is that most people round here are buying in lines. Same as at the club. I think new people are more used to the inline shape and you can not make them believe a RB or a lead conical will work so I think the company stocks what sells and at a buck a bullet rather that 10 cents wEll.

The only thing to make sure is that your round ball is actually round. No kiding

Tried a box of 54 cal Remington and every 6th one had a flat spot on it. No kidding. Things would shoot ok and then zingo off in to the whatever.

Ended up in the house with the Sliding measure thing to find out even if they were round (weigh the same) does not matter if there end up gaps between the wall of the gun and the ball. Round is more important than exact weight.

Worked out ok in the end put the things through my Lee pot and recast them seem to work out ok now.

O yea a Lee aluminum mold sells for around 20 bucks and you will need a dipper at least. Dont be afraid to mold your own and put a drop of bright finger nail polish on the spru of every ball. Drives people nuts I like that.

I buy the Hornadys, though I have used the Speer. To me the Speer's seem to be just a tad harder lead, though I could be wrong?

Hornady's is what I started out with and have never really seen a need to change, though I also cast some of my own and use them in my .40 calibers...

I use both. Right now i am using Speer for my .54cal. Why? I have no clue. Both, hornady and speer offer excellent products when it comes to round balls.
We're talkin roundballs here, not sabots :haha:

I doubt if most shooters can tell any difference. I know I can't, but I'm no longer competitive, so.... :snore:

Speer's in my neck of the woods are a lot cheaper than Hornady so I shoot speer's. I can't tell any dif. between the two in my sticks.

Tell Track to ship your RB US post office flat rate.

I have shipped 47 pounds for just under $12.00 including insurance.

I have shot both and can't tell any difference! I usually opt for the cheaper of the two. I know no matter which I find cheaper they are equally good quality!

I mostly buy them mail order and seem to end up with the Hornady's. They are always less money in my experience.

Our local Super Market has firearms Etc. Tack and of course Booze and food. They stock all sizes Rbs in Speer and Hornady. The Hornadys are $11.00 and the Speers are $9.00 per. 100. That is for the .530s which are a big seller.
The Speers are more uniform but you can't tell the difference firing from a bench. :hmm:

I think that I might have a rather unique answer to this question: I shoot only Hornady's both in rifle & pistol because the boxes fit better into my BP Range Kit! And I use a sharpie marker to write on the boxes what my loads are. On the paper Hornady boxes, the sharpie marker never wears off like on the plastic Speer boxes. Call me crazy, but since I shoot multiple calibers with a single Range Kit while teaching others how to load & shoot BP, the fact that the correct load is printed on the box starting with the name of the gun, keeps stupid things from happening. :hmm:

Sorry for the long-winded answer, but you did open Pandora's Box! :shocked2:

Dave

I shoot Hornady 000 buck in my.36 since it loads without too much trouble and is very accurate.

It ain't broke so I won't fix it.

CS

In my 50 and 54 I have used both brands, could not really tell the differance between the two. In the little .32 I only have one choice- Hornady. I have never seen the Speer that small. I usually just go with the Hornady because they are easier to find locally.

I have been using the Speer balls for years. I have found them to be very consistent and extremely accurate. I once did a comparative test using Speer And Hornady in three different rifles and the Speer won. The Speer balls appear to be rounder and have a slicker surface. I use Speer in total preference to the Hornady. Your results may vary.

:rotf: Well the air must be different up here. I couldn't get Speers to shoot in the same place or as tight as hornadys in my 1792. /shrug

I've used both, .535 in my .54. I've never been able to tell the difference. I like the plastic box the Speers come in, handy for small items in my shooting box.

Back