• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How clean is clean?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeaterbait

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I have the new GPR, and got it all fitted together and following instructions on cleaning the bore for the first time. I have soaked in WD-40 over night and once all day. I have brushed it out and I have even used some Rem-clean on it several times.

It seems that each time I achieve a clean patch and think it's time to coat with some bore butter the patch with the butter comes up dirty. So here we go again. Soak, Rem-Clean, wire brush and VOILA, clean patch. Bore butter, dirty patch.

When I look down the barrel I see clean. In fact, if my eye sight were good enough I could literally count the lines of tool marks in the grooves of the rifling.

So, at what point do I give up and consider the barrel to be sufficiently clean?

Try a few alcohal patches to remove the WD & cleaning solvents. Then use your bore butter.
Jon D

For removing the protective coating on a new barrel acetone (brake cleaner ) does an excellant job. Alcohol works as well but takes more pathes/time. :hmm:

I'd not recommend bore butter for bore coating.
I feel it is much better to use a light gun oil and remove the oil prior to loading with alchol. then fire some caps into a patch on a ram rod held in the bore, while you pop the caps. Bore butter will seal the bore, but if there is any mositure under the bore butter there can be rust so use oil.

Use brake cleaner to clean out the barrel from the factory.

Use diluted Ballistol, or TOW Mink Oil for patches.

Use Ballistol to protect the barrel after cleaning.

The barrel will outlive you.

Did you clean inside the breech? I had my GPR for a while before I realized that the breech is a smaller diameter than the barrel bore! Seemed like it would never really come clean before I figured this out, but it's a piece of cake now. I use a .32 cal bronze bore brush with a ~1" x 2" piece of fabric (cleaning patch cut in half) wrapped around the tip of the brush to get down inside the breech. Seems to work pretty good, but beware bore brushes that have bronze wire for the core that holds the bristles. Had one of those break off in the breech once because the wire was too soft!

Also probably wouldn't hurt anything to warm the barrel a little, just up to 100ºF or so. That cosmoline can be a bit stiff when it's cold...

I just swab mine with HOT soapy water then Hot rinse water then swabs until she's dry and clean then while barrel is still warm I'll run oiled patchs down. I've not had any problem doing it that way.

I feel your pain. For 45 years I've always been able to get a dirty (usually just slightly) patch out of the bore AT LEAST by the next day. I've used everything recommended by the knowledgeable folks such as the ones on this forum and never get all the way to pristine. Yes, the bores shine like silver and look fine year after year but I can always get something on a patch. I now chalk it up to the same gremlins that - back in the army - allowed the inspecting officer to get dirt on his white glove even after our scrubbing, sanding, washing and polishing the same spot for hours! I don't know; some of us live in a different universe, I guess. Now I just clean till it is as clean as it is going to get then stop. I keep check over the next few days and then weekly after that. I think we're the "Dark Cloud People".

My rifle is like my butt. No matter how hard I wipe it, it never comes clean. Smells about the same too, come to think of it. :shocked2:

Glenfilthie said:
My rifle is like my butt. No matter how hard I wipe it, it never comes clean. Smells about the same too, come to think of it. :shocked2:

Ever wonder why nobody sits next to you?

Thanks all. I will get out pick up some brakecleana and gasoline the do a dance in the moonlight..... :grin:

The thanks are sincere, I will take all advice to heart and see what happens. I have used brake/carb cleaner on firearms before but never my ML's. Hadn't really crossed my mind but it's still blued steel isnt' it.

Glenfilthie said:

Maybe you should try a bore brush? :hmm:

Mr History said:
Glenfilthie said:

Maybe you should try a bore brush? :hmm:

:surrender: :shocked2:

I noticed the same problem. I use a bore light every time I clean my flintlocks. I added Hoppe's solvent with a bore brush as part of my routine and now the patches come out clean even days afterward.
On your first cleaning use brake cleaner. It will get the factory stuff out than use the warm water, breech in a bucket with a few drops of detergent. Pump a patch vigorously. Use any of the commonly available gun oils to protect.

Use a bore mop for pumping the water. It works better than a patch.

I discovered that by accident when I ran out of patches.

:hmm: I will give that a try. That “jet” of water coming from the flash hole is amazing. I can't see how anything could be left in there.

Back