• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How clean is clean?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you know it's beneficial or not if you don't use it?

I wash my dishes in hot water. I wash me in hot water. I clean my gun in hot water.

I didn't say boiling water. Unless you get boiling water from the faucet.

I put it in the bucket. I put the bucket on the floor. I put the breech in the bucket. The barrel gets warm. Not hot. I don't see how I could get burned.

It's much easier to get the barrel dry when i'm done compared to warm water.

There are multiple products and procedures that will produce a bore that is:
100% clean
100% dry
100% lubed

Mine happens to be a large 5 gallon pail of steaming hot water out of the tap (140* for the dishwasher), and a couple squirts of dishwashing detergent.
IMO, nothing cleans as well as hot water...ie: hot water melts and removes egg residue stuck on a breakfast plate but cooler water will not.

Sit & soak the breech end to heat up the barrel, pump flush a dozen strokes with the vent in, then a dozen strokes with the vent out, then hot water rinse in a smaller separate clean pail.

Patch dry it immediately to prevent flash rust, then run a large sloppy dripping wet WD40 patch up and down a few times to drive off any possible remaining moisture, and dry patch that out;

Repeat with another dripping wet WD40 patch and store with muzzle down;

Back