• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you clean flints between shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just use my thumb. Mostly before shooting to wipe off bore butter I use for protection.

In response to Anonymous:
I second this emotion. Once in a while I wipe the flint and the frizzen face with the edge of my thumb--if I think of it. I like muzzleloading because of its simplcity and its traditional values and I guess old habits die hard...

greetings blacksburg,

i wait till the guy next to me isn't looking then i use his shirt tail to wipe frizzen and flint.

only got caught once, a little quick on my feet thinking got me out of it. told him the wind blew his shirt tail into my lock and messed up my flint adjustment. he apoligized about 5 times. and i most graciously, told him, 'no pblm, just be more carefull in the future'. :wink:

..ttfn..grampa..

I use the little alcohol packets like roundball uses and really like it. I even use it for a final wipe of the bore when loading up for a hunt. It gets rid of any oil and powder residue with ease.

I bought a small waterproof hip bag at an Army surplus store that has 2 seperate pouches. It holds all my hunting stuff out of the way and easy to get to. I keep my pan charger, extra pre wrapped with lead flint, small screwdriver with sharpening notch, speed loaders, 2 Skoal tins with cleaning patches,jags and allen wrench (works good for tightening down the flint if you have a hole in your screw), cut down tooth brush and alcohol wipes,electical tape to tape the muzzle in rainy weather, and a piece of car shammy (lock cover) that is treated with waterproof Mink boot dressing. Can't weigh much more than a pound total. I like to travel light.

On the left side of my belt is a Buck knife and my deer drag. My drag is made of a plastic tube with slots in each end and the rope is folded up inside with a tag end sticking out so it can be worn on my belt, plastic caps cover the ends. I always wanted to machine one out of a thick piece of deer antler and use wood end caps. The car shammy lock cover is great as it conforms to the lock like a glove and can be used in a downpour by just opening it up enough to make a little tent on top of the lock.

I just wet my finger with a little spit to wipe off the fling and frizzen. Just make sure to wipe the flint from back to front. Keep down the number of cut fingers.

Latest posts

Back