• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you hold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the gun and the sights. my Dixie TMR has very long angled tapered ears so "A" would be point blank range, and then working the blade up from there to "D" as range increases. On other rifles with different sights like those @Hatchet-Jack illustrates I would hold like he does, straight across, with equal space on either side of the front sight, With a handgun its always 6 O'clock.

I guess I'm confused. Isn't Hatchet-Jack's diagram just like YampaValleyMountainMan's figure C? I'm assuming the "bead" or circle on top of the front sight blades in figures A,B,C, and D represent the round target. I hold like figure C or Hatchet-Jack's drawing.
I assumed the round dots in @YampaValleyMountainMan 's sketch represent a front "Bead" sight, not the target, but he can clarify that. I can't imagine how you could bury the target in the rear sight notch with no visibility of the front sight in position "B". That's what lead me to the conclusion the round dot is a bead.

I guess "A" level with the top of the rear sight but I don't like those rear sights that angle down. I like a flat rear sight so I can put the front sight level with the top of the rear sight.

I hold centered and adjust what the "center" is based on distance and wind.

This:
View attachment 351666
On squared off sights like you pictured I use your sight picture. On the "V" type sights I like position B with the bead tucked way down low. For me that lessens side to side error by not having to estimate an equal space on each side of the bead.

Like Hatchet-Jack for me: at six hours under the target, up and down by the front view, I never use rear views with an angle (normal, buckhorn or vernier/diopter). Position like this:

351767-1000006096.jpg

Either B or like Hatchet Jack’s for my flat topped rear sight guns.
Both front stuffers get 90gr 3F Swiss or T7. They shoot both powders to POA consistently. Both are sighted in at 60yds currently, as bifocals make longer shots on live targets iffy. I tend to catch the divider line in my lens.
I shot 1000yd BPCR in high school, open irons Trapdoor with a factory flip up sight. No glasses then.

Back