• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you shoot open sights w bifocals? Your experiences?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AZbpBurner said:
Grenadier1758 said:
I went a slightly different way. I wear contact lenses. When the need for bifocals was becoming obvious, my doctor prescribed monofocal lenses. This means the front sight is sharply in focus. The rear sight and target are slightly fuzzy. I can deal with that. Its great for smoothbore shooting with both eyes open. Everything is in focus.
According to my optometrist, often contacts are set up so one eye focuses at distance, while the other is set to focus closer. I had a set of shooting glasses made with shooting eye focusing at arms-length sighting distance, and the other lens for my normal distance vision - works great.

That Merit Optical Device is an overpriced ripoff. You can punch a 1/16" in a piece of black electrical tape and attach it more securely for a fraction of the price.

Yes, the tape trick works, but you cannot adjust the hole size in the tape, or swing it out of the way if needed. The Merit is no rip off, but is a very well made precision instrument that works very well for some. Precision most always costs more.

I wear bifocal progressive glasses for reading and up close work. Shooting in them was a bear. Brought my guns into the eye doc and got a multi-focal contact lens I wear in only my dominant eye. Sights are clear and the target is also. Now with the lens in my dominant eye, I can wear my regular sunglasses to shoot with. The solution works great, for me.

The Merit is no rip off, but is a very well made precision instrument that works very well for some.

Glad you qualified saying "some". I have the Merit and can never get it placed where I need it. Has not proven useful to me. And, yes, they are quite pricey. I have a new idea I'm going to try and will cost near zip. Hold yer breath for report.

The fellows I shoot with just use a piece of black electrical tape with a pin hole punched in it. This does the same thing as the Merit device. When I got my cataracts fixed this remedy didn't work any more. My new lens replacement didn't help much either. I just ask my friends to point somewhere near the target and I shoot away. I even hit once in a while. I have moved the rear sight forward for some of my buddies as their eyes get old, and this works to a point. When the rear sight and the front sight are in the same dovetail it makes it too hard to line up to shoot. Seriously try the tape, try different hole sizes. I just used to cut about 1/4"squares and use a hot finish nail to make the hole. Can't get much cheaper to try. I had trifocals and the pin hole worked with them. Good luck

AZbpBurner said:
According to my optometrist, often contacts are set up so one eye focuses at distance, while the other is set to focus closer. I had a set of shooting glasses made with shooting eye focusing at arms-length sighting distance, and the other lens for my normal distance vision - works great.

I did the same thing and it certainly takes some getting used to. I am used to shooting with both eyes open and I thought it would be an easy transition but it took me a while. It does work though and a good thing cuz my braille method sucks.

I shoot both eyes open also. Luckily my weak eye has good distance vision. The multi-focal in my shooting eye clears up the sights well.

I finally tested my idea. And, it works very well. :grin: (we need a pat self on back similie here :wink: )
I have some unused darkening film laying around. This is the same stuff as used on car windows and elsewhere. I cut some small pieces and using a leather punch picked a hole size that looked good and punched. Happily it cut clean holes. Poking with an awl or whatever did not make clean holes. Then I cut a small piece with the hole and placed on the inside of my glasses lens. They stick with friction, no tape, suction cups, clamps. It can be placed anywhere on your lens to accomodate your rifle/head hold. Since my film was left over stuff, cost was zero. I'm sure small film pieces can be found at hobby stores.
peepfilm.jpg
[/URL][/img]
filmpeeper.jpg
[/URL][/img]

That's a great idea! I've been searching for years for a way to help with my bifocals and that'll work. I'm gonna use it. Thanks.

I have used a piece of thin black plastic cut kinda in a half moon and tape it close to the nose piece locating the hole by trial and error like yours and it works,I also use a leather punch to make the hole about 1/8" works for me,this shape don't interfere with your vision very much.

Rifleman1776 said:
Yes, tie it on, screw it down and a glop of super glue too won't be excessive.
Mine does fall off and at about $60.00 it is not fun if lost. I have trouble placing just right also.

It's glued on and safety wired if it happens to break loose, which has never happened in about 8 years. The set screw is a stop which allows the eye piece to always position in the same spot. It allowed me to take a decent 6 point white tail last
week with period correct open sights on my .72 flinter.

Went in and talked to my eye doc and set up my shooting script for contacts.

So far the contacts have worked out flawless as it puts the corrective lense on the eye instead of an inch away, otherwise shoot a Northwest Gun, no rear sight.

This is kind of what I was hoping to find, and the others are very helpful, too, and good information to add to my arsenal of techniques to shoot well. I'm really glad I asked this question. Keep 'em coming! This is how we build up our community of shooters.

CB57 said:
This is kind of what I was hoping to find, and the others are very helpful, too, and good information to add to my arsenal of techniques to shoot well. I'm really glad I asked this question. Keep 'em coming! This is how we build up our community of shooters.

Glad it was helpful to you. To my way of thinking, in this game, just making things for yourself is part of preserving history. I enjoy going into the shop and making accutrements for myself and to give to friends.

I have a friend who is new to any kind of pistol shooting. He was shooting my New Army but not hitting the target that I was watching. I asked him what the heck he was shooting at and he replied "East, I think." I replied "Well, I don't think you are hitting anywhere near East."

Latest posts

Back