• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How far will it go?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Going too try some gray squirrel hunting on my property but am concerned about shooting in the air and how far the ball will travel.
If we shoot north there would be 80 acres between us and the nearest house, so if we shoot reduced loads say 30-40 grains in 45 and 50 caliber at say 60-70 degree angle how far will it go.
Don`t want too drop one on someones head.
Also all measures would be taken too have a backstop or ground shot, i`m talking about a clear miss in the trees.
Thanks

When I hunt with the 36, I try to wait until there is a backstop for the ball.

I wish I had a dollar for every pasture griz (groundhog) I passed up, because of my sister's worthless horses. :cursing:
You just can't shoot if you don't know where the ball will stop. :v

I understand ya have too know where the ball will stop, that is the answer i`m looking for.
Has anyone figured it out about how far a 50 cal. ball will travel with say a 40 grain load shot up in the air.
I thought someone might have mathematically figured it out somehow.
With all the squirrel hunters on here i thought someone would have and idea.
I guess there would be too many variables depending on the angle at which ya fire.

Ok, FINALLY a topic that I actually answer using the stuff I do for a living :grin:

The maximum range depends on a number of things, but all else being equal the 2 chief things are muzzle velocity and angle from horizontal. Other factors are drag, headwinds (crosswinds do not affect range, they only affect direction), and altitude. If you shoot high enough to take advantage of the thinner atmosphere at altitude you can get longer range. This is obviously not a factor in shooting a rb from a muzzleloader, it is really only a practical consideration for artillery (which seems a bit excessive for hunting squirrels :rotf: ).

Assuming that all shots are with the same calibre round ball, you will have maximum range at 45 degrees. Looking at various ballistics charts for muzzleloaders, I think a reasonably close estimate of muzzle velocity is 1200 fps. The weight of the ball is irrelevant in calculating range, except that it affects the muzzle velocity.

Going with a muzzle velocity of 1200 FPS (~366 meters per second), I calculate a maximum range of 13,669 meters, or 8.5 miles. This is the MAXIMUM range. In real life the drag on the ball (a sphere is not a very aerodynamic shape) will decrease this range noticeably. But for safety sake I’d go with the maximum range.

Thanks for that info but i doubt a 50 cal ball with a 30-40 grain load would go a mile if that.
Heck if you shot a 100 grain load across a field 200 yards the drop would probably be eight feet.
The whole idea was too use a light enough load so the ball wouldn`t travel far.
I`ll figure it out :surrender:

Squirrel Tail said:
"...FINALLY a topic that I actually answer using the stuff I do for a living :grin:..."...I calculate a maximum range of 13,669 meters, or 8.5 miles..."
With all due respect, I think you might want to revist your calulations:grin:

It surely won't go as far as a .22cal long rifle and at best they're only rated at something like 1.5 miles...which even that I think is padded for liability sake.

I shoot a .45cal round ball hunting load with a max powder charge, pushing in excess of 2000fps MV, and shooting it horizontal down a 300 yards rifle range it hits the dirt before the 300 yard target...I doubt seriously a .440 ball could ever think about going even a 1/2 mile under the best of conditions.

But back to the poster's original question, if you're going to shoot up into trees, as a general principle it's best to use bird shot in a smoothbore...or wait until you have one coming down the middle of a tree trunk, or on the ground, etc.

But back to the poster's original question, if you're going to shoot up into trees, as a general principle it's best to use bird shot in a smoothbore...or wait until you have one coming down the middle of a tree trunk, or on the ground, etc

Agree and have been doing that for many years, was just wondering if anyone used such a light load that the ball wouldn`t travel that far.
I have eighty acres of land too my north so i thought maybe a light load would be safe.
Thanks for the info everyone.

Here's another way to look at the question: If you lived out in the country, how far away would you want people to be before they started launching projectiles up into the sky? I do live out in the hills where folks come to hunt, and thanks to almighty we don't have squirrels. It's bad enough finding bullet holes in the road sign in front of your house or having folks shoot close enough to houses you can hear the crack before you hear the bang. I'm obviously not antihunting, but I'm fullblooded anti-idiot.

I think i`m sorry i ever asked the question to begin with.
I`m not an idiot and have been shooting and hunting all my life.
Was just courious about what others do when shooting squirrels.

Sorry if you got the impression I was referring to you as an idiot. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I was venting my spleen about those that are. You've stepped a big notch above the run of the mill simply by asking the question and showing concern.

My rule of thumb is simply not to shoot up unless I can see clearly where the bullet might land. I'd give myself a 1-1.5 mile margin on RB at squirrel velocities, and if I couldn't see that far I wouldn't shoot up without a backstop of some kind behind the squirrel.

Back to the idiots that head out into country with houses and don't have your concern. Isn't there also a thread around here about castrated squirrels?

BrownBear said:
Back to the idiots that head out into country with houses and don't have your concern. Isn't there also a thread around here about castrated squirrels?

Yep, I started it.
What's up with that comment?? :confused:

BrownBear said:
Sorry if you got the impression I was referring to you as an idiot. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I was venting my spleen about those that are. You've stepped a big notch above the run of the mill simply by asking the question and showing concern.

My rule of thumb is simply not to shoot up unless I can see clearly where the bullet might land. I'd give myself a 1-1.5 mile margin on RB at squirrel velocities, and if I couldn't see that far I wouldn't shoot up without a backstop of some kind behind the squirrel.

Sorry for misunderstanding you my apologies.
I just thought that there has too be a minimum load a person could shoot at squirrels and retain accuracy that wouldn`t go very far.
I shoot my bb gun at squirrels all the time in trees and don`t worry about hitting someone.
If ya only shot 10 grains of powder under a 50 cal. ball that ball isn`t going very far.
I understand if ya live in town everything is out the window but it`s a long ways across eighty acres.

Ok, look, I have this argument with my wife about comparing real world with theoretical ideal conditions all the time. It is important to understand when you’re using which. In this case, I’m talking about a theoretical ideal condition.

A trajectory is a special case of an orbit, its path can be accurately described by orbital equations, except that the path intercepts the surface of the Earth. For this question, as I said, that is the MAXIMUM possible range. This is assuming the following:

1) Assuming no air resistance.
2) Assuming the projectile is fired from the surface of the Earth.
3) Assuming the projectile does not travel high enough for there to be a significant difference in gravitational acceleration. (If this one is not true, then the range would increase.)

The range of a projectile in these conditions is given by R=Vo^2 sin(2Q)/g, where Q is the angle of launch relative to the horizontal, Vo is the muzzle velocity, and g is the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the Earth (9.8 m/s^2)

The value of the sine of an angle can vary from 0 to 1, with 1 being the value of the sine of 90 degrees. For any given muzzle velocity the maximum range is reached when the sin (2Q) equals 1, which is obviously when Q equals 45 degrees, since that’s when 2Q would be 90.

1200 fps is 366 meters per second (meter = 3.281 feet). Vo^2 = 366 squared, which is 133,956. divide by g gives 133,956/9.8= 13,669 meters. Divided by 1000 (1000 meters per kilometer) give 13.7 km. 1 km = 0.61 statute miles, so 13.7 km = 8.4 statute miles.

Thus the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE range of a projectile with a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps is 8.4 miles. It doesn’t matter if you used 40grains of ffg or a big rubber band, use a round ball or a cube, a projectile starting with a velocity of 1200 fps has a maximum possible range in **theoretical ideal conditions**, on the Earth, of 8.4 miles.

Now, what I said was:

“This is the MAXIMUM range. In real life the drag on the ball (a sphere is not a very aerodynamic shape) will decrease this range noticeably.

Notice the “”¦will decrease this range noticeably” part. Not only is a sphere not very aerodynamic, it starts out traveling faster than mach 1, which REALLY increases the drag.

Without going through the calculations to include a constantly varying velocity, and first supersonic transitioning to subsonic drag ratios, I’d guess, offhand, that the real life maximum distance of a round ball would be maybe an 8th of that or less.

But I also said:
“But for safety sake I’d go with the maximum range.”

So it depends on how safe you want to be. But it is physically impossible for a projectile going 1200 fps to go farther than 8.4 miles, so you know you would be safe, absolutely, if you used that as a maximum range.

HOWEVER, as has been pointed out, the best thing is to know what’s behind your target in case you miss. I personally never take rifle shots when all that’s behind the target is open sky, but that’s just my own safety practice, others will undoubtedly differ.

I`m sorry this thread is so stressful for some, it was a simple question, is there a minimum load that could be shot safely in the air with eighty acres down range too play with.
Forget it, i`ll go squirrel hunting tomorrow and make sure i have a back stop behind them, no big deal.

I`m sorry this thread had too become an argument, i don`t want anyone too have hard feelings against anyone else so lets just drop the subject. :v
In fact deleting it would be fine with me. :applause:

:surrender: Hey! NOt to worry. I really only intended to answer your question about how far you could shoot, to say that the absolute farthest you could possibly shoot was 8.4 miles, I didn't mean to start an argument with anyone :surrender: .

Good luck with the squirrel hunting! :thumbsup:

Back