• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How I lost $200.00

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, it was simple. My friend and I ordered a nice p++ stock from Pecatonica. It had a nice, even visible curl. I finished inletting the trigger, lock, breach tang. It looked and functioned sweet.
Then, I started working on barrel holding pin. I started drilling and SHxT! Damn wood cracked all the way down to the muzzle end!!!!!!!!! Now, pressure of the drill was rather on the slower side. I didn't want to rush it.
So this is the story of my first stock I worked on from the base. I am not ashamed of myself. Only thing is I spend almost $200.00 including shipping. I just don't know what the hell I did wrong...? My guess is, I didn't secure the entire stock properly, and it was held only in two places: near the butt and half way the forearm. I'm sure Pecatonica will not send a defective stock and even if they did or it cracked during shipment, it would be noticeable, I think.

So, To All Newbies Trying To Change the Stock:
Learn from my mistake and secure the damn thing!

I will not post the pictures, as I am kind of irritated right now and my hands are shaking. It's not like a have a lot of money to buy bunch of stocks to give a try.

All comments on my project greatly appreciated.
Michael

I'm not sure how you managed that. Sounds like some binding going on. I've drilled a few holes, not as many as others here but I never had a hole crack on me. Regardless, you may want to post pics because stocks can be fixed with a little effort. Pics of exactly whats going on will help the builders here talk you through a fix and salvage the stock.

Where exactly is the crack? On the side of the stock or between the bbl inlet and RR groove and how long is the crack?. Have repaired fairly long cracks and they weren't noticeable when finished.....Fred

Fix is not possible.It's too much. Looks like this from the top:

breach muzzle

I already gave it to my father in law. He is a curver and he already cut it for some kind of statue, so I'm through with this one. Either way, I still like to hear opinions of what could be the cause.

With out pics.. there is no telling. :idunno: Your diagram just leaves me more confused. In no way does that resemble a Muzzleloader stock. :idunno:

You need to slow down and think before doing anything rash like destroying this stock again. You come here for advice and help on doing these things, you really need to take advantage of it. You may not think it was salvageable but there are builders here that you would not believe what they can do with a badly damaged stock and you'd never be able to tell. So next time slow down, take pics and listen to what is told to you.

My question is was the barrel in the channel?

Highly figured wood has different internal stresses than plain wood. This can lead to cracking and other problems.

Roy said:
With out pics.. there is no telling. :idunno: Your diagram just leaves me more confused. In no way does that resemble a Muzzleloader stock. :idunno:

Roy, if you stare at the center of the diagram until your eyes get fuzzy, then try to look past it but still keep it in the center of your vision, an image of a stock will eventually appear before your eyes. Takes about 1/2 hour and a really cool effect. Bill

ehoff said:
My question is was the barrel in the channel?

Highly figured wood has different internal stresses than plain wood. This can lead to cracking and other problems.

"different internal stresses" is a huge understatement.
Highly figured wood is, almost by definition, fragile and a bunch of cracks waiting to happen. For working on fragile woods (I'm not a gun builder just a long time wannabe) I used to wrap slender fragile pieces with rubber surgical tubing for strength. I'll betcha, if that had been done the crack would not have happened. Also, higher speed and sharp drill bits are vital.

Hello

Yes, the barrel was in the channel. My diagram is not clear maybe, but the crack looked like a stretched "Z" on top of another stretched "Z".
And You are right Swampy, I should've wait a little longer. Guess I thought it was easier, but wasn't patient enough. Maybe next time will be better, or maybe I just concentrate on shooting and ask someone here or elswhere to just build me one. Anyway, thank You for reprimend. I think I needed one. :bow:

While I was being critical, I forgot to say:
Sad, I'm sorry that happened.
This incident does serve to remind how difficult it can be to build a fine rifle and help us appreciate their beauty when finished.

To bad you destroyed the stock. There is no crack that can not be fixed, most being completely invisible after the repair. :shake:
This stock was shattered through the breech and the rear ram rod pipe. It was litterally in three pieces when I recieved it. I glued it up and it is now stronger tan ever. You can not see any of the repairs. http://www.fowlingguns.com/kitgun2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Small drill = fast spindle speed... I can understand a crack if you were pushing into the stock and displacing wood instead of cutting and displacing. How was this stock "fixtured" during drilling? Hand drill? Drill press?

I was using hand drill. Rather big one so maybe I didn't feel the pressure on the wood and like I said before it was on low speed. Wood was secure near the both ends. I know this is a no no also. Should've been done differently.

Thats just funny, I dont care who you are ,,,,,,,thats just funny stuff ritch there
Now where do you look ,and fer how long?
Deutsch

Just making a little joke about your illustration. :surrender: I think I speak for everyone here when I say we're truly sorry for your expensive loss. We get plenty of questions here about how to fix mistakes, so the next booboo you make, ask if it's salvageable before you give it to your uncle. (Or give it to me and I'll pay for the shipping :grin: ) Take care. Bill

Next time I will let you know I promise. Yeah. He really wanted this stock for carving. So I said: whatever. First time, so I wasn't expecting too much but didn't expect this to happen for sure. Anyway, I'm not going to cry about stock or money. Things happen. Just want to post this so guys on similar level of experience as I am don't repeat my mistake. Haven't seen the post of somebody's mess up yet here. So here I am. :rotf: Thank you all for all the comments. Really appreciate you are here.

Back