• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Indian flintlocks are made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ride an Indian made motorcycle all over the woods and on the highway, almost daily. I even buy parts from India that is shipped here faster than some U.S. Retailers. I'm not comparing the bike to the Indian muskets, I'm merely saying they CAN produce a quality product and their customer service is outstanding.

As others have stated these hardworking gentlemen in India are building firearms under similar conditions to our
colonial era backwoods gunsmiths days & are doing a great job for what they sell for..

Were fortunate that our forum has numerous senior members with varied backgrounds in collecting, building & shooting who openly help those newer to our history rich sport.
My experience based personal opinions & choices may draw some kickback but there is no benefit for me to mislead anyone.
During the past 60 years I've operated muzzleloading businesses were I repaired customers guns, custom built, collected, restored & shot & competed with mostly original European built firearms as I personally preferred their generally larger bores & style of rifling.

After working on hundreds of replicas & originals the quality & workmanship varied greatly by when & where they were built.
Naturally early firearms built in England & Europe generally exhibit much higher quality metallurgy, workmanship locks & barrels than those built much later by blacksmiths in our much newer American colonies. Cannot expect frontier blacksmiths/gun builders to equal England & Europe's master gunsmiths & metallurgy skills.

As skilled English & European gunmakers settled in our Colonies they started building some very fine firearms & spread their gun building knowledge & we acquired some noted & artistic firearm builders.

Overall it's been my experience that the barrels on the India mfg firearms are much safer than many of our early colonial era forged barrels where I've often found small forging voids in the bores.
With some colonial era American firearms that I intended to shoot extensively in competition I had the barrels relined.
Forged barrels that have been relined tend to produce tighter groups as they generally don't drift due to heat through continued shots.
Locks built in India remind me of some early American colonial era locks. They are somewhat functional but require considerable reworking of internal parts geometry & springs to make them functional unless your happy with a 20 Lb. trigger pull.

Bottom line, it's great that in most parts of America we still have firearm choices & opportunities to purchase what we want & can afford !

As others have stated these hardworking gentlemen in India are building firearms under similar conditions to our
colonial era backwoods gunsmiths days & are doing a great job for what they sell for..

Were fortunate that our forum has numerous senior members with varied backgrounds in collecting, building & shooting who openly help those newer to our history rich sport.
My experience based personal opinions & choices may draw some kickback but there is no benefit for me to mislead anyone.
During the past 60 years I've operated muzzleloading businesses were I repaired customers guns, custom built, collected, restored & shot & competed with mostly original European built firearms as I personally preferred their generally larger bores & style of rifling.

After working on hundreds of replicas & originals the quality & workmanship varied greatly by when & where they were built.
Naturally early firearms built in England & Europe generally exhibit much higher quality metallurgy, workmanship locks & barrels than those built much later by blacksmiths in our much newer American colonies. Cannot expect frontier blacksmiths/gun builders to equal England & Europe's master gunsmiths & metallurgy skills.

As skilled English & European gunmakers settled in our Colonies they started building some very fine firearms & spread their gun building knowledge & we acquired some noted & artistic firearm builders.

Overall it's been my experience that the barrels on the India mfg firearms are much safer than many of our early colonial era forged barrels where I've often found small forging voids in the bores.
With some colonial era American firearms that I intended to shoot extensively in competition I had the barrels relined.
Forged barrels that have been relined tend to produce tighter groups as they generally don't drift due to heat through continued shots.
Locks built in India remind me of some early American colonial era locks. They are somewhat functional but require considerable reworking of internal parts geometry & springs to make them functional unless your happy with a 20 Lb. trigger pull.

Bottom line, it's great that in most parts of America we still have firearm choices & opportunities to purchase what we want & can afford !
well said Chuck!

If the locks seem to be the part most likely to cause problems, would it be feasible to replace them with a Rifle Shop lock?
Any option is possible but tuning an Indian lock is much more more cost effective & something many can do with some online research & mechanical abilities.

Any option is possible but tuning an Indian lock is much more more cost effective & something many can do with some online research & mechanical abilities.
I tuned my first Indian lock following Chuck guidance last year and it was easy, it was free and all I used was a dremel.

Yes, I know. The reason I posted it is because it proves Indian made barrels are safe.
Point well made General :thumb:
Your posting on this subject serves a good purpose.
During my years in the firearm business I've seen some crazy gun destructing incidents,
most were caused by operator errors & occasionally due to manufacturing flaws even in better noted replicas.
We rarely find absolute perfection in any modern firearm unless it was custom built by someone like Ron Scott, Kibler, etc, etc.
Luckily we have several excellent gun mechanics on our forum who are willing to help members resolve just about any problem.

When looking on the various Indian gun importer sites, I’m seeing about an 80-90% “out of stock” rate.

Wouldn’t mind trying one of their blunderbusses or trade pistols but they’re nowhere to be had.

Back