• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How light is your rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello TAN,
I have fallen in love with the IH style and want to build one. The problem I'm wrestling with is that I have no carving experience and even after shooting flinters for 15 years, I have no use for a patchbox. The wrestling part is that those two aspects are so strongly identified with Lancasters, especially IH style.
If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting some photos of yours. It might help convince me that a Haines with a great piece of wood can be a work of art, even without a patchbox and carving.
Thanks,
Finn

Mine is a plain Jane hunting gun with just a few incised lines, wood is stained dark for what I wanted. Will see about getting a pic or two.

Found some pics of the lefty, not the best, but the best I have for now. I used the large trigger guard for a glove and front conventional trigger during cold weather hunting, leaving the double set rear for other shooting.

Also used Van's Gun Blue on barrel, then rubbed out to grey with steel wool.

Stained dark, no carving or PB, just incised lines along RR channel, botttom of butt stock and the cheek piece.

ONE.jpg

Two.jpg

THREE.jpg

FOUR.jpg

FIVE.jpg

.54 caliber generic Lancaster style rifle from 1790-1810 era, built by Rod Gates, 44 in. swamped Coleraine barrel, C weight, plain maple, brass mounted, 8

My york rifle kit that I got from Cabin Creek turned out to be about 8.5 lb with grn mtn barrel and curly maple stock

4-Bore (1.052" bore diam.) English Sporter 1/2 stock
30" straight taper barrel (1 3/4" to 1 1/2" at muzzle)
flintlock , with a curley maple stock. 16 1/2 lbs........
Sounds heavy , until you shoot it........
Joe.

Tan,
Thanks for the post. Simple but elegant, you've created art. Hope I can make mine come out something like that.
Finn

Very nice gun. May ask how many you have built thus far?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Dan

Very nice gun. May ask how many you have built thus far?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Dan
Thanks, built about couple dozen over the years. Here is pics (with over 30 years of hunting and use battle scars) today of first rifle (and pistol) I built back in the early 70's. To me now, it appears gaudy as a Parisian lady of the night, but I was sure proud of it then.

It has taken many a muley and goat, (antelope to pilgrims) daughter and her family have it in Cody Wyoming. Grandson will be taking it out this fall, so it will keep on making meat for many years to come.

1TWO.jpg

1RIFLE.jpg

I'm brand new to the forum, but I've been shooting for awhile here in Colorado. I take an early morning hike in the gulch for 3 miles most days and I've been carrying a Pennsylvania Wolfgang Haaga style rifle by Jack Garner in .58 cal that weighs about 9.5#. The first week I carried it seemed a bit heavy and cumbersome because of weight and it's 42" barrel, but now I'm used to it and it's very comfortable. In fact, it's the most enjoyable gun I've ever carried. I've got a dozen steel gongs spiked to dead trees at 40 - 125yds and I generally shoot six PRBs a day, then field clean with TC cleaner and head home to start the workday. Life is good in America.

Latest posts

Back