• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How light is your rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a flint with a swamped barrel (allows me to have a longer more balanced rifle) full stock, wood patch box, and mostly bone appointments. It weighs 7 3/4 pounds which is perfect for me (an older lady) and I can still hold it up and enjoy shooting it. S

Just wondering what different style rifles weigh?

My TC Hawken flintlocks with round ball barrels and solid brass ramrods average 9.5-10lbs depending on caliber

I would say the flinter by t.c around 8 pounds,my New Englander and thunderhawk around 7 lbs,to me weight is important as you grow older that was one reason I sold the Lyman GPR more like 10+ to heavy for walking and stalking deer.

I currently have a .54 IH style Lancaster, 38" swamped C profile barrel, no patch box, weighs in at just over 7 pounds.

I'm refinishing my .62cal. Virginia Smooth Rifle with Getz 36" oct. to round barrel and it will probably be a hair over 8lbs. this go round...was 8-1/2lbs. with sling before.

I've got an early New England rifle--say 1730-1740 period-- with a swamped, 42" barrel in .62 caliber that weighs just a bit over 7 pounds. Due to the taper and flare of the barrel, the balance lies just forward of the trigger guard. I can carry it all day without complaint and it is an accurate and powerful hunting gun.

the gun I carry in the woods is my Lyman Deerstalker...about 7 lbs...Hank

I'm thinking of getting a jaeger for my next bp gun (you can never have too many toys). I've shot them before in re-enactments and enjoyed it. Any suggestions on where to get a good one. Is yours a single or double trigger? I've seen them both ways, but mostly double. Do you know which is more authentic, or are they both about equal?

You will find sometimes the ML rifles are allot heavier than what the people think they are, as most people weigh them on bathroom scales (their wives have adjusted ?) :rolleyes: or just plain guessing. I have had people guess the weight on my Jaegers many times & all of them are usually 2-3 pounds too light on a guess. Balance is what determines allot of what you Think a rifle weighs.

One of the lightest ones I have recently built is a I.Haines with a .54 cal. 38" Getz swamped barrel. The stock was a light one & when all trimmed down & finishished it weighed 7.5# on a digita scale. Generally the same rifle with a dense stock will go about 8# but it is a well balanced rifle & feels like a 7# rifle. The Jaegers that weigh 10-11# people guess at weighing 8-9# usually, however it is because of the short barrels & the way they shoulder.

:results:

This is a good point. My rifle was weighed by the builder at just over 7 lbs.--7lbs.,3ozs. if I recall rightly. My bathroom scale showed about 7lbs. even. A computerized scale gave 7.27lbs. I just weighed it again on my trusty bathroom scale and got 6lbs.,14ozs.

I have a 20 bore fowler that weighed the same as the rifle. It now weighs 7 lbs. on the nose. Perhaps this can be attributed to the wood having lost moisture content over the years, though there's no sign of shrinkage on either piece.

Yeah but is that everyone loves to shoot a heavy rifle, but hates to carry it, or does everyone love to carry a light rifle, but hates to shoot it?

I'm so confused!

:youcrazy:

Generally I find that a 9# rifle is about the limit of my comfort level, but I found my 1861 to be very comfortable last fall, and it's probably closer to 10#. Maybe I'm getting stronger in my old age...I know I cover much less ground as I hunt slower, maybe that's it!

Rat

Hello TAN,
I have fallen in love with the IH style and want to build one. The problem I'm wrestling with is that I have no carving experience and even after shooting flinters for 15 years, I have no use for a patchbox. The wrestling part is that those two aspects are so strongly identified with Lancasters, especially IH style.
If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting some photos of yours. It might help convince me that a Haines with a great piece of wood can be a work of art, even without a patchbox and carving.
Thanks,
Finn

Hello TAN,
I have fallen in love with the IH style and want to build one. The problem I'm wrestling with is that I have no carving experience and even after shooting flinters for 15 years, I have no use for a patchbox. The wrestling part is that those two aspects are so strongly identified with Lancasters, especially IH style.
If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting some photos of yours. It might help convince me that a Haines with a great piece of wood can be a work of art, even without a patchbox and carving.
Thanks,
Finn

Mine is a plain Jane hunting gun with just a few incised lines, wood is stained dark for what I wanted. Will see about getting a pic or two.

Back