• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long can a flint last?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imfrank

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering how long a flint can last? It seems that after about 3 or 4 shots it will not spark and there is little chip pieces that comes off the flint at every shot. I adjust the flint at about 1/16" from the frizzen. Any help would greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Frank

imfrank said:
Hi, i was wondering how long a flint can last? It seems that after about 3 or 4 shots it will not spark and there is little chip pieces that comes off the flint at every shot. I adjust the flint at about 1/16" from the frizzen. Any help would greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Frank
I think most will agree that it depends on a few things like the size and/or type of lock being used, whether or not the lock is in good working order, the type & size flint being used, if it's installed the best possible way for your lock, etc.

As one example, TC locks are medium size and do very well with 3/4" Tom Fuller black english flints with the worst of them averageing 40-60 shots, a typical one averaging 60-80 shots, and the rare one breaking 90-100 shots.

In most cases there is occasional "knapping" being done periodically to remove a dull spot and restore a sharp edge. May you could provide more detail about your particular ML, lock, flints, etc?

I have the same issue. I am using a TC Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine. Seems like I can only fire a few rounds and I start seeing flint damage. I have adjusted the flimt as per the manual, with 1/16 inche between frizzen and flint.

Check out this article:
[url] http://www.chuckhawks.com/flintlocks.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tod said:
"...I have the same issue. I am using a TC Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine..."
If it's TC's old style lock and unless you've already had it replaced I'd bet it is, those are the typical results the old style locks gave.
TC has significantly redesigned their locks...suggest you send it to TC to make them more reliable...they normally install the new style parts (no charge) and life is good[url] thereafter...in[/url] some cases they've even sent back an entire new lock assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Roundball.

Whe did they change the lock? I bought my Penn Hunter right as they discontinued them. Is there an easy way to tell old from new lock?

I think if you use lead as a wrap it will last 6,000 to 10,000 shots. :winking: At least that's what I've read here lately. :hmm:

Tod thanks for the link ,it might start a "do/do not" but of overall intrest. Thanks. Fred :hatsoff:

Tod said:
Thanks Roundball.

Whe did they change the lock? I bought my Penn Hunter right as they discontinued them. Is there an easy way to tell old from new lock?

OLD STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY...note severe "S" shape to hammer, and the "notch" in the back edge of the hammer right above the hammer mounting screw...also, the hammer is quite short with the bottom jaw just barely clearing the "fence"...and the frizzen is case colored

1387427TCFlintLockOLDHAMMERFRIZZEN-RightSide.jpg

NEW STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY”¦note much more gentle “S” curve shape (and no notch), it’s much taller with the lower jaw clearing much higher above the fence, the frizzen is solid jet black color, and you can see the huge new style vent liner in the photo

15308545CLOSEUPLockArea800.JPG

Mike Brooks said:
I think if you use lead as a wrap it will last 6,000 to 10,000 shots. :winking: At least that's what I've read here lately. :hmm:
:rotf:

To Mike and Roundball not trying to be a pain in the... but that kind of answer's( lead) is why Ive shot perc since 71 and never tryed flint till this week. Thank you, Fred :hatsoff:

fw said:
To Mike and Roundball not trying to be a pain in the... but that kind of answer's( lead) is why Ive shot perc since 71 and never tryed flint till this week. Thank you, Fred :hatsoff:
You've consciously decided not to try a Flintlock for 35 years because one guy makes an obvious little joke and another guy laughs at it??

For 35 years? The Internet and Muzzleloading Forums weren't even invented back then... :confused:

Nah nothing like that but like the link said, I didnt know and still dont know a thing about them, when I would ask "most guys" didnt want to answer the first step Qs so Ive got some books after being on here reading these post, my point is why tease someone about it, you and Mike are up front on a lot of things like John H is, and hasnt the lead thing been beat to death lately? (as before ,not trying to pi..anyone off but this is where some of us are going to have to learn)Fred :hatsoff:

OK, I'll get serious. :( We'll have to have more info, like what kind of lock is it? That would be the best place to start.
Actually Paul will jump right in here pretty quick and contradict any advice I could give, so I wonder why I or anyone else even bothers...... :shake:

Thanks Roundball.

It looks like I have the old style hammer, but the new style frizzen. I will contact TC and see about an upgrade.

I notice that my current hammer will allow the flint to actually hit the pan when fired, chipping off a corner of the flint. It all starts to make sense...

Tod

I think you are full of it, I have never been abnle to get more than 5000 shots out of a flint.

Tod said:
Thanks Roundball.

It looks like I have the old style hammer, but the new style frizzen. I will contact TC and see about an upgrade.

I notice that my current hammer will allow the flint to actually hit the pan when fired, chipping off a corner of the flint. It all starts to make sense...

Tod

Personal opinion, I'd stay away from the word "upgrade"...technically they haven't made and 'upgrade' or 'recall' type situation out of it...probably too costly...I've always approached it from the point of view of being disappointed about the reliability, poor sparking, eating flints, etc...that I understood TC has made the locks more reliable with an improved hammer...could TC look it over and make it more reliable.
(don't be surprised if they ask you to send in your lock for them to take care of it).

Note:
The new style, taller hammer has to come as an assembly...the old style top jaw & jaw screw won't work on the new style hammer.

Roundball Looking at the pictures , my lock has the old style hammer. But they didn't give me the top jaw and screw, so I will have to get them to change my hammer. Thanks Dilly

I have a t/c hawken .45 cal and by the picture i have an old style lock assembly. By what you are saying to fix the problem i should change lock assembly?
Frank

imfrank said:
I have a t/c hawken .45 cal and by the picture i have an old style lock assembly. By what you are saying to fix the problem i should change lock assembly?
Frank
The main reliably improvements are the hammer (asm) and Frizzen...hammer is taller with slightly different angle of attack and the frizzen is harder.

Sometimes when locks have been sent back asking TC for their help, TC has sent back entire new lock assemblies...could be they were too busy to have some one set up a work order to replace the parts and/or there might have been some other older parts in the internals that it made more sense for them to replace the whole thing.

Back