• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long can a flint last?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse the stupid newbie question. What the heck is a duraflint.

I've seen agate and black English. My TC came with the former, which sucked. A gunsmith buddy clued me into the latter, and they are much better.

OK...I am caught........ :redface:

You have to admit tho, I didn't a heck of a job cutting all those lil natural looking facets on it !! :applause:

roundball said:
[If it's TC's old style lock and unless you've already had it replaced I'd bet it is, those are the typical results the old style locks gave.
TC has significantly redesigned their locks...suggest you send it to TC to make them more reliable...they normally install the new style parts (no charge) and life is good[url] thereafter...in[/url] some cases they've even sent back an entire new lock assembly.

I spoke to Ron at T/C who confirmed the problem with the old lock. I am to send it in for repair or replacement. Love that New Hampster accent. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tod said:

I've seen agate and black English. My TC came with the former, which sucked. A gunsmith buddy clued me into the latter, and they are much better.
For a time, a little business venture popped up which marketed a modern synthetic material that was shaped somewhat like a sawed agate to be used in place of a flint...it was named 'DuraFlint'.

It was about $12 each but was advertised to give a few hundred shots...very hard, had to be re-sharpened with a diamond file, and would cut a groove in the face of your frizzen from constantly cutting the same precise place.

The venture didn't last very long and last I heard went out of business several years ago

Yeah, Thanks roundball. I owe you a beer if you ever make it out this way. And we have a serious deer, antelope, elk problem over here, if you're ever in the neighborhood around Oct/Nov.

roundball said:
Tod said:

For a time, a little business venture popped up which marketed a modern synthetic material that was shaped somewhat like a sawed agate to be used in place of a flint...it was named 'DuraFlint'.

It was about $12 each but was advertised to give a few hundred shots...very hard, had to be re-sharpened with a diamond file, and would cut a groove in the face of your frizzen from constantly cutting the same precise place.

The venture didn't last very long and last I heard went out of business several years ago

That's because no one had developed the DuraFrizzen and we decided it was better to spend 90¢ on a flint every other month instead of $60 twice a year on a new frizzen. :rotf:

Well, you and Wally might as well include me in your cheapskate club. I can usually squeeze at least 60 to 80 shots out of an English flint with an occasional 100 or so. Turn 'em around and re-knap until there's just a pebble left. Then I save them in case I build or buy a small pistol lock, then I'll use 'em again! If I get less than 50 shots out of one, I have a conniption. Don't you just hate it when you pick out a beautiful, supposedly perfect flint and have it shatter after a few fires? Then I've had pieces that look like gravel last for 70 or 80. Go figure. :hmm:

I use a diamond file to keep the flint sharp. I get more shots than I can knapping. The flint will not get short as fast. But like the Ranger when they do get short they go into the pistol. :thumbsup:
If I am at a Rondy I will use the little hammer. But for shooting and hunting it the Diamond file. :thumbsup:

Tod said:
Thanks Roundball.

It looks like I have the old style hammer, but the new style frizzen. I will contact TC and see about an upgrade.

I notice that my current hammer will allow the flint to actually hit the pan when fired, chipping off a corner of the flint. It all starts to make sense...

Tod

I just went though this process with T/C. I have a T/C Renegade (20+ yers old) and newer Hawken. Both with old style locks. I pulled both of them, packed them in a box along with a note addressed to the T/C service manager and sent them off to T/C without talking to T/C before hand. About 5 days later, two brand new locks arrived at my house. At now charge to me other than postage ($1.77) :grin:
Say what you want about T/C, but their service abd support is second to none. :bow:

Back