• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many carry non PC or HC knives......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandpa bought me a pocketknife when I was 6, I've carried a blade of some kind every since. I feel naked without it. Daily I carry a small Victorinox small blade folder. It holds an incredible edge and has a small can opener/bottleopener/turnscrew blade. In my other front pocket I have a razor sharp automatic knife with half serrated tanto tip blade. A leftover from days as a cop.

I read an article about the Grohmann Belt knife from Canada years ago, my wife got me one for Christmas about 15 years ago. Its about perfect for dressing a deer with its shad belly blade. I just put a razor edge on it, its going to deer camp tomorrow.

For hunting, I have settled on a few knives that I feel are close to PC/HC, and are perfectly adequate to do the intended job, but, always at the last minute I bring a Buck Folder that my 42 year old daughter bought me for a Christmas when she was 14 years old, and have carried when hunting since..........I guess you could say that it’s historically correct......for me!
D9809D37-41B2-44BE-90B3-155730E0F5D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Charles Carter (kingsport,TN) made the knife I carry in the woods. He makes period correct (1700s) style knifes. With all the meets (especially Friendship IN) being cancelled Esty or visiting him is the only way to get one these days.

Check out Lucas Forge Powder River knife. Follows the old English trade knife design. Very reasonable prices for a hand made knife.

.... when out hunting with their ML'drs? I have my big knife but almost always carry a fixed blade from a modern manufacturer or a custom one. Usually have a medium to large folder as well. Now I am talking about hunting with traditional front stuffers and not the inline jobs that seem so popular these days. I just wish there were as many varieties of styles in 1095 as there is in SS like 440 or 420.
There are many custom makers that will make you a PC knife in 1095. Check out Jim Miller Damascus,out of Iowa. Almost all his knives are PC and he has been doing it for 30 years.Super,Super nice guy who will accommodate your needs.

Well on occasion I've carried a 12 "' Dudgeon Dagger' but its small' bye knife' is what mostly got used .The dagger a sort of anticedal dirk .was handy for taking the Billy of the fire and if required finishing game . The bye knife being old table knife 4" blade. Mostly I wear an old Victorian shortened meat knife .But have carried old skinners. I have nothing modern but normally carry a pocket knife currently an Opinel folding/lock carbon steel very good and readily replacable . ( Shocking admission from a Sheffeilder but there you go ).
I have carried a 6" Middleton hunting knife famous for their Bowies .But left off heavy knives prefer to go light no more heavy guns that's for young fellows. What I do include in all these is a provision for a small flat file in the wooden leather bound sheaf not so much as a hone but rather general usefulness in this ' number 8 wire' country .
Have carried a tomahawk or a Maori axe slung near horizontal on my belly the better to stoop and get under dead falls in big country. essensial in such as Canada where I under took long bush trips but not needed in NZ.
Once felled two big pines to cross a rageing creak my 3" edged tomahawk had its work cut out but had to be done. ' Hoodoo Creek' on the Klinaklini river about twelve mile from Knight inlet, End of an 18 day trip & nearly the end of me as the currant pushed me flat as I hand after hand crossed the creek . But I digress ( Toot loves that stuff .)
Regards Rudyard

When my wife was still shooting with an ml she had a habit of losing knives when we were hunting. I finally bought her a Western Cutlery fixed blade knife with a blaze orange grip and in a blaze orange sheath so she couldn't lose them. She lost them.
Maybe she was trying to tell you that it was YOUR job to field dress anything she shot?

My time period is French and Indian War, I usually kit out and hunt in period clothes for that era, carry a smoothbore musket and a folding clasp knife. These were found in numbers on Rogers' Island in Fort Edward N Y. They are about 5 inches long when folded and fit in a pocket or shot pouch. There are many accounts of Rangers and Provincials using them. Plenty of knife for any need and a convenient carry.

Attachments

• Ranger book island.jpg
    Ranger book island.jpg
    75 KB
  • ranger clasp knife.jpg
    ranger clasp knife.jpg
    41.4 KB
  • knife 2.jpg
    knife 2.jpg
    167.8 KB
I carry a pocket knife all the time. I really like my old Shrade three blade, but since I've lost a couple over the years I put it in a drawer and now carry a medium size three blade Buck. It was used when I bought it a number of years ago on a garage sale for a dollar or two. I figured if I lost it I wouldn't feel bad. It is like a bad penny and just sticks around. I guess not caring is good loss insurance.

I recently sent one of my knives to a dear friend. He had told me he would love to have one of my knives .. but was not an knife aficionado,. So I sent him one and left him with what my ganddad told me when I was about ten: "Every man needs a knife and to learn how to whittle, It is the best way to calm your nerves." I never forgot that. Maybe that's why I make knives. :D Polecat

I carry a few HC/PC knives. A favorite is a Wick Ellerbe trade knife. His work is right and the steel is properly hardened and tempered. Great performance.
I also carry an original farm knife and an ivory handled original kitchen knife reshaped for more feral pursuits. I made an antler handled long knife from a file that is iffy regarding HC/PC but popular in design.

People just need to quit worrying about this "historical accuracy" stuff. I mean, you can't prove they didn't have everything we have today anyway, because them ol' boys didn't write everything down. Besides, if they'd a had it, they'd a used it.

Back