• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many here shoot Handgonnes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teleoceras

45 Cal.
Reaction score
While writing up my previous post, I came to wonder just how many here have shot a Handgonne?

For my personal experience, I own five Handgonnes (one .50, one .56, and three .75's) with more on the way. I really get into shooting them and showing people how the first firearms worked. :) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anybody else have an experience with these arms?

I own one that is 1.00 caliber or one inch.It is fun to shoot and is very loud.

What size of a powder charge do you load in that and do you use a patched or un-patched round ball?

Also, I assume that the handle (stick) is made of hard wood, what is used as a traditional wood for hand-cannons?

I would think English Blackthorn might work well, it makes strong walking sticks...

I haven't shot it with ball yet.I would most likely use a half ounce charge.I use it for reenacting.As far as what wood was used,whatever was good,availible,and affordable then.

Wal, iffen it are a gona be loaded with 'bout a 1555 grain ball in front o 218 grains o powder Ah thin Ah wil jus sit back an watch from a distance while ole Mooskeetman touches her off.

Ah'm jus a guessin but Ah wouldn't be too suprized iffen when that style o Handgonne were the latest design 218 grains might have been 'bout the load but the quality o the powder back then warn't very good.

Usin modern powder, an a ballpark thum guide fer a rifle (in Dixies Catalog), that are about a 7 to 1 lead to powder ratio. In a long barreled gun it will produce about 1300 FPS velocity an iffen it did, that would be about 5800 footie pounds o energy.

made my own in .62 cal. smoothbore. interesting to shoot will make more for my friemds

I have three altogether.

My first I call my "poison tulip" due to its shape. .50 caliber, its not copied from any actual gun, I sort of evolved it from a early bottle gonne design by adding a socket and tiller.

The next one is based on one from the 1400's in the Museum of Art and History in Geneva, Switerland. Its .58 rifled., plan to later bore it out to .75 with a chambered breech.

The last is also .58 and will be a barrel attached to a tiller stock by means of two barrel bands and have a simple "s" shaped serpentine match ignition.

I'm still waiting for Greywolf to start selling them again. Have you heard any news about when he will be back in business?

Give me an idea of what you are looking for and let me see what I can find out for you.
:hmm:

Squirrelsaurus Rex:

I'm still waiting for Greywolf to start selling them again. Have you heard any news about when he will be back in business?

The E-Mail I got last month was Workin' on it. Still need to get the time to get the new Lathe here.

:results:

Only the more modern hand gonnes are in my PAD (peasant armoury depot). I've a Ruger Old Army and a Lyman Great Plains pistol.

One day, I'll build a flintlock pistol that's proper for a gentleman (and that leaves me out). :blah:

The E-Mail I got last month was Workin' on it. Still need to get the time to get the new Lathe here.
He told me about the lathe problem, too. He couldn't tell me anything more specific than "Hopefully by the end of the year."

Here's a series of photos of me with my .50 poison tulip. Thanks to my ole lady, Mesha!

gonne_1.jpg

PORT ARMS

gonne_2.jpg

PRIME

gonne_3.jpg

PRESENT ARM!

gonne_4.jpg

AIM!!

gonne_5.jpg

GIVE FIRE!!!

TALK ABOUT SHOOTERS FLINCH!!!!
:results:

Now you know why the English wear their helmets at a jaunty angle!

Surprise! I found out that my Poison Tulip is based on a medieval design! Take a look at this:

design.jpg

This came from Medieval Costume, Armour and Weapons by Eduard Wagner, Zoroslava Drobna, Jan Durdik.

Claypipe:

Very cool! :RO:

I recommend though as a safetly feature for your fingers that you might want to consider using a linstock with the slowmatch.

Poisoned Tulip is one fine Handgonne! :imo:

Actually, I used a 12" punk stick to ignite the charge. I am in the course of fleshing out the complete kit. I plan to use flask and measure, a slow match with a 10" tube that hangs in a metal container at the belt, a ball bag and a pouch for other accoutrements. Will keep all posted. :m2c:

claypipe,
That is definately a cool flame in the last picture. :redthumb: :: :) Are those period correct clothing you are wearing? Can you hit anything with the poison tulip?
God bless.
volatpluvia

The flame shot is nice, not an easy shot to make using a digital auto focusing camera. And she caught first time out! The shoes, pants shirt and helmet are period. The "liberty cap" is questionable, but I needed to keep my pore little head warm... Wait to you see the new suit of clothes I'm working up. No pants, tights! :haha:

Haven't attempted to score it yet. Maybe this weekend I'll see what it can do. :results:

Claypipe,
Please! By all means, do post pictures of you in tights! I need my laughs! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: Just kidding!
God bless.
volatpluvia

Back