• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Many Hunt Only With BP Weapons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roguedog

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This question may sound a little crazy given the forum that we're on, but I can say for myself, until this year I had not gone completely black all the way. I had toyed with the idea for a few years simply because of the immense satisfaction I got from hunting with traditional blackpowder weapons. Yet, my desire to fill the freezer often led me to take out the modern weapons late in the season. Now, I have simply said no more. It is only blackpowder from here on out. I have every confidence that I can learn to be just as successful, if not more, than my brothers in arms who are carrying the more modern weaponry. So.....how many of you use only blackpowder weapons for all of your hunting needs? I must say that my only exclusion to this is that I do use traditional archery gear as well. But for guns, it is only blackpowder for me.

Jeff

Well I still have some centerfires and rimfires around but they get very little use. I take my deer with flintlock but I don't hunt anything small game at all. I enjoy my roundball rifles during the summer but have not used a centerfire on a deer in about 15 years.

Been blackpowder only for deer around 25 yrs now and black for turkey about 10 or so. Just recently started back squirrel hunting since I've built my 40. I still shoot some 22s and pistols with my grandboys and use them more fore teaching tools for them but they both seem to be leaning to the dark side. I think its the smoke and they can get more dirty shooting black :idunno:

The only modern weapons I own now are just my pistols. Other than that is black only. I shoot skeet and sporting clays with black also.

I only have time for two hunts a year.. One deer hunt for me as a traditional black powder hunt and one agracultural hunt for my younger sons that is centerfire.

IF I had more time and opportunity I would probably still use both considering the hunt and requirements... IF I had the luxery of a multi-deer limit and plenty of time to hunt I would more likely go black only...

I went cold turkey with BP in the 90s then switched to Flintlocks in 2000.
Other than a recent Dove shoot back in September to try out a Colt 1878 SxS .12ga hammer gun with black powder shells, all my hunting has been with Flintlock rifles and smoothbores for the past dozen years.
Sold most all centerfire rifles & shotguns to finance some of the long guns I now have...

Awesome gents, I have come close a few times to switching to black and bows but not yet.

If it helps my modern guns are levers and my use of scopes is very near finnished!

Muzzleloading has taught me to put the hunt back in hunting and that is so much better than shooting a distant live target IMO.

B :thumbsup:

I've been using black powder for all my hunting for almost 40 years. I recommend it. :grin:

Spence

As I have only just picked up hunting again after a long hiatus and the fact I used a BP rifle...I can say I only hunt with black powder.

We got rid of all the suppository guns with the exception of the single shot .410 as it is the only one Sevan knows how to operate. Also I paid $125 bucks for it and I am not takeing a lousy $50 for it. I'd rather let it sit in the safe and gather dust.

I still hunt with my Compound bow and my shotguns. I kind of alternate with using shotguns and BP rifles during deer shotgun season. I take the whole week off, so one day I will use the rifle, the other the shotgun. Squirrel season I use a Ruger 10/22 rimfire.Although, I have been toying with the idea of buying a BP squirrel rifle...

As an aside, I have a small arsenal of modern weapons, both shotguns and rifles, that I will likely never sale or get rid of. I did give away my only modern muzzleloader to my buddy's six year old son. Yeah, it's not traditional but I wasn't using it, never intended to ever use it, and I think it may be a good starting point for the young man to get his feet wet in blackpowder. I will work on him again later when he get's a bit older. Also, I have modern pistols that I intend to keep and use as part of my home defense package. But for hunting, black is all intend to do from here on out. This coming turkey season will be my first wih blackpowder. Should be fun.

Jeff

I don't know what happened, but have gone completely to BP. I shot competitive combat pistol for 5 years to the rate of 35-40,000 rounds per year. 25 years ago I liquidated all my modern firearms and went solely to BP. Since the transition I have enjoyed the woods much more, and I'm in the every day. The outdoors is much more fulfilling now and life is good.

If I could find a smoothbore I could load in a kayak I would be set to be 100%. That said I do have a Marlin I won't part with that I take out when deer hunting in bad weather. Also a 20 O/U that is much easier to load in a kayak. I'd be fine with a BP 20ga if I could reload the dang thing without tipping over.

I live in a state where I can't hunt Sundays. Thats my only day off. If I want another day off I need to request it 2 weeks in advance. So I use my days in hunting season. I hunt all day in any weather. There are days so bad I just take a cartridge gun rather than not go at all. I love my flintlocks, but I guess a day in the woods with another gun is still better than any day on the couch or at work.

Until two years ago when I started shooting black powder again I had hunted with my Mathews compound bow even during rifle season. I confess that I have a safe full of all kinds of modern firearms includeing a AR 15. I only shoot paper with them now but I love them all. Geo. T.

Flint and bow for more years than I care to remember. Still do a lot of shooting with modern but all hunting other than bow is flint and BP double barrel hammer for small game

Completely blackpowder here,whether its target, deer,bear, turkey,coyote, squirrel,crow, blackbird, etc. If I am going to shoot it now a days its black and with a flintlock. Id get as much satisfaction out of shooting a an animal or target with a modern gun as I would running over it with my truck. Its dead and I can eat it, but I missed the thrill of shooting it with a flinter.

Latest posts

Back