• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Many Hunt Only With BP Weapons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never hunted before 2012 and never been interested in hunting with a modern gun. if i hadnt got into BP i would probably still not hunt. something about my longrifle screamed "go hunting".

this year i hope to take one with a custom flintlock.

-matt

My hunting is purely black owder. But I have went "modern" for shooting trap, simply because of cost. :idunno:

Last year was black powder only. This year I have been using my Hawken for morning hunts, and my scoped Mosin Nagant for evenings. I still enjoy the bp hunting a little more. :)

My hunting is deer only these days and that's been all BP (with one exception) since Y2K if not earlier. I have done well with .50 conicals and .54 PRB. But prefer the .54.

The only exception was the '10 season when I didn't have much time to hunt and took the shotgun out one afternoon. For once it sent the slug where aimed and I got a nice 8-pointer.

If I were still hunting woodchucks or coyotes, the centerfire varmit rifles would see some use. But, for now, they're gathering dust.

BP all the way for me. have been that way for a few years now. for that matter i've never shot a pheasant with anything but BP.

:grin: all my big game hunting and rabbit and squirrel hunting was black powder.
Bird hunting was with ithica 37.
till this year got a Bess Carbine .
Ducks are a hoot decoying ,pass shooting is another story.
Grouse 5 flushes 5 misses
one landed on a branch 20 yards away from me & dog and laughed!!!
I think dog is laughin at me to!!!

I started shooting a Back in 1969. It was a Navy arms 44 cap and ball.Then a 58 zuave and never looked back. My son and I bowhunt the early season but if not successful I get out my Black powder buddies. My rifle of choice is my 54 cal. blueridge rifle but on ocassion I get out my 1885 hi-wall in 38-55. 55 gr.of black and a 330gr. Postell bullet. Other than that my Modern rifle was made in 1909. Besides...smokeless powder is only a passing fad!

I have taken one deer with my truck gun, a Winchester 94 in 30-30 but other than that all my hunting has been done with a bow. Using a scoped modern rifle for hunting holds no interest for me. I really enjoy scouting, planning and stalking. This coming year will be a mix for me. My plan is to mix my hunts using the frontloader and the bow. I really like the challenge.

Latest posts

Back